It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:47 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 8:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I didn't have a topic on this? A preview:
https://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/gb ... 440b46ff5e

So I finished this just the other day (I'm once more a little behind on my reading) and some thoughts (no, not quite the old snarky commentary)

"Where Winston Was" The first story by the regular team of Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening. Indulges in some meta humor as Winston meets with Erik and colorist Luis Delgado (while Dan is running away from the ghosts in the RGB intro), and tells the story of where he was during GB2's courtroom bust. He gets his own action scene as the Scoleri Brother's Mom is released from another jar of mood slime, and Winston defeats her with his wits and a ghost trap retrieved from the ECTO-1. A great way to make him part of the bust even though he really wasn't in the movie because Reitman and the others didn't think he was important enough.

"Prairie Hell Companion" Fun bit with Ortiz, with Kylie and Venkman along for the ride. Corin Howell's version of Venkman was kind of inconsistent...in one profile shot he looked less like sorta-Bill-Murray-but-not-close-enough-to-get-sued and more like RGB Venkman

"Second City Ghostbusters" >zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz<. I know they have fans, but I'm not one of them--Ron is a jerkass, and the Rookie is inexplicably loved for someone so bland and cardboard they won't even refer to him by name (even though IDW snuck one in early on.)

"Ghostbusters 101 Prelude" Probably the most important story of the issue, featuring art by Rachel Stott, who has done fill-ins before (and some great work on Titan's Doctor Who line) As the title suggests, it's mostly set-up for the next mini-series, introducing three of the four students that will be appearing there: Cait Banner, Zoe Zawadski, and Evan Torres. Cait is Janine's niece, which I have very mixed feelings about...she seems like a neat character, but I'd have to revamp her backstory to use her in GBOT/Ectozone stories: Janine mentioned a sister, Doris, and a nephew named Victor in the cartoon. Maybe Cait could be another cousin in the GBOT version; I've written fourteen years of stories where Victor's last name is Irwin and you'd think if he had a sister it would have come up by now.

"Origins Of Slimer" Erik and Dan give us another story with some meta in it...as the new kids ask about Slimer, a few theories are presented. One is that he was a fat chef who died of a heart attack. I almost wonder if they'd thought of having him be a fat comedian who died of a drug overdose, but somebody decided--probably rightly so--that that might be a bit insensative. Next theory is that he was a by-produced of cult rituals in the Sedgewick basement--the theory first suggested by the West End Games RPG, and which seems to be the most popular. But then Slimer himself speaks up to tell everyone that he was actually a king...it turns out to be a prank played by Venkman, but it's also a reference to the Marvel UK comics which suggested Slimer was once King Remils. Spell that backward to see how clever the Marvel UK storytelling was!

"Pagan's Bust" is a two-pager wherein Kylie's cat rids her apartment of a dog-faced goblin using a ghost trap Kylie left behind. I love cats, so this was fun.

A one page story calling back to the GB1 script--the honeymooning couple at the Sedgewick getting attacked by Slimer and thus prompting the Ghostbuster's very first call--has it's own meta element: it's written by Dan Schoening and illustrated by Erik Burnham!

Then we get the final teaser...Ghostbusters from other dimensions...the IDW Ghostbusters, the animated Ghostbusters, the Extreme Ghostbusters, the Sanctum of Slime Ghostbusters...

A shot of a firehouse very much like the one we know...but inside, the hanging flight suit looks a little different...it has two stripes of reflective material across the chest...wonder what that could mean...

I guess we find out in March!

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 3:48 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Aquarius
The only part I liked about the Chicago GBs story was their secretary. She was a two-scene wonder by getting Ron to make his own coffee, the asshat.

As for Cait Banner....Doris probably married the Incredible Hulk at some point? (LOL sorry, when I saw 'Banner,' that was my first thought.) But, yeah, Janine probably has more than one sister.

The ending of Slimer's origin story had me cracking up :lol: Makes me wanna see an angry Egon chasing Ray around the Firehouse and then finding out about the prank and chasing Peter.

And I wanna see Cait sneakily shipping her aunt with Egon.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 5:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
HauntedWallflower wrote:
The only part I liked about the Chicago GBs story was their secretary. She was a two-scene wonder by getting Ron to make his own coffee, the asshat.

As for Cait Banner....Doris probably married the Incredible Hulk at some point? (LOL sorry, when I saw 'Banner,' that was my first thought.) But, yeah, Janine probably has more than one sister.

One idea that occured to me...

Back when she was a teenager, young Doris Melnitz was courted by two men: Joshua Irwin and, well, since you made the Hulk joke, let's call him David Banner. (Or Bruce, whichever your prefer)

In some timelines, such as RGB and the Ectozone, Doris decides to be with Joshua, they get married, and have a son, Victor.

In other timelines, such as the IDW timeline, Doris marries David and they have a daughter, Cait (probably short for Caitlin, but not confirmed)

There, now I just worked it out so I don't have to retcon Cait in if I decide not to.
:D

Quote:
The ending of Slimer's origin story had me cracking up :lol: Makes me wanna see an angry Egon chasing Ray around the Firehouse and then finding out about the prank and chasing Peter.

And I wanna see Cait sneakily shipping her aunt with Egon.

Dear Erik Burnham: DO. THIS.