It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:04 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Which actress portrayed the best Janine?
Annie Potts 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
Laura Summer 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
Kath Soucie 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Pat Musick 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Total votes: 17
 Post subject: Janine poll
PostPosted: April 7th, 2008, 6:29 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Well, this is probably about 90% pointless, but I was interested in seeing just how much Laura Summer would win by.

Before I started this thread, I was tossing up between Pat Musick and Annie Potts - but now, even though I usually subscribe to the you-can't-beat-the-original theory, I think it's going to have to be Pat Musick.

BTW I'm posting this in the animation forum because we have three animated Janines versus one movie Janine. Reasonable, I think.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

Post subject: Re: Janine poll
PostPosted: April 7th, 2008, 9:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
This should be interesting, indeed.

I ended up voting for Laura Summer, but if Annie Potts had actually played the same character in both movies it might have been different. :roll: She was awesome in the first movie, and criminally wasted in the second.

I'll really be surprised if anyone votes for Kath Soucie, though. This was not her finest role.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2008, 6:54 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
All four are part of Janine's history, but Laura Summer is the Janine I know and love.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2008, 8:59 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I want to see the fight it out lol .......... oh hay maybe Egon would love to see that too .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: April 8th, 2008, 6:30 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Fritz wrote:
I'll really be surprised if anyone votes for Kath Soucie, though. This was not her finest role.

Kath Soucie is very good at playing "bland mommies", as someone likes to put it. She does it all the time, and in those instances, I find her very dull. I think I've said some of this before. She plays Maddie Fenton - Danny's mother - in Danny Phantom, and brings absolutely nothing to the role, which is a shame because all of the other parts are excellently cast.

But she can be good if she wants to be. Just what is her finest role? I ask myself. For me it's between Princess What's Her Name in Earthworm Jim - a feisty crime-fighting giant insect person from the planet Insectika - and Miriam Pataki, a very funny and un-bland mommy in Hey Arnold (her husband is played brilliantly by Maurice LeMarche, which just goes to show they do have really good chemistry in the right parts).

So, as I look now, it's three for Laura Summer and just me for Pat Musick. I'm still hoping someone will vote for Annie Potts, just to make it a bit varied. I'd like to take this opportunity to stress my awareness that Annie Potts' two Janines are so drastically different - but she's still the same actress, so if your favourite Janine is Annie Potts in GB1, she deserves your vote.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 10:55 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
It's so strange how age gives you perspective...I liked the Kathie Soucie Janine better as a little girl because she was more feminine *ducks flying tomatoes* since I was a girlie girl. Now that I've seen most of the RGB episodes as an adult I'm all about the Laura Summer. Although there are some episodes where her accent is just way too heavy and I find it really grating. But most of the time I love it, and it makes the character really distinctive and passionate.

I maintain that I don't mind the physical makeover of Janine, as when the show started to head into the late 80's, Janine was starting to look INCREDIBLY dated (even as a child I could see that) but I do NOT like the personality/voice makeover. Maybe they could have even let her keep the pointy glasses or the big earrings to maintain some of that Janine 'edge' but the new look was needed for the times. But the wishy-washiness and whiny voice are now more grating than her Brooklyn accent EVER was.

So in retrospect, Pat Musiak would come second as she seemed to be a more toned down version of Original Janine - a healthy balance. A little too cynical for my tastes personality wise, but the voice and image seem consistent to what I think Janine would look like in the 90's -- although I would have added a ring on her wedding finger ...but I digress ;)

Last edited by rgbforever on April 13th, 2008, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2008, 12:35 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
I had to vote for Laura Summer.
BTW here's a link to her bio on IMDb:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0838607/
I think she looks a lot like her Janine.
Laura was the one that I loved ever since I was 12, even before GBII's Janine let down.
I've learned how to do her Janine voice over the years. I used to try & do my hair like her Janine's hair!
I lived for the moments when she'd do her old "Oh, Egon" routine. She had a way of making it sound so seductive & I often wondered how in the world he could continue to resist her! :roll: :D

I loved Annies's Janine in GBI. She's funny, fiery & seemed to care about others, but in GBII for whatever reasons we can think of she ruined Janine's integrity! For what? A quick buck? So that puts her at the bottom of the list for me. :(

I hated the Kath Soucie voice at first, but I soon got used to it. At least her Janine had ethics & morals, unlike Janine in GBII (except for those couple of slips in "Elemenatry, My Dear Winston." But I'll blame that on the writer)
My favourite role of Kath's is Linka in "Captain Planet & the Planeteers." She's strong, cool, capable & has an interesting, volatile relationship with Wheeler in it. She also has a nice Russian accent. :)

I like Pat Musick's Janine. Although a little too deep & sometimes almost masculine it seems to me, she did bring back Janine's fire & passion & sarcasm, which I really appreciated.
I love it in "Temporary Insanity" when she says to Lillith, "Who are you, Twinky?" :lol:
That was a real Janine moment! Wondering who the hell she is & what she's doing there & just being really straight forward & blunt.

So yes Laura, Kath, Pat & Annie. That's my order! ;)

PostPosted: April 13th, 2008, 4:15 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

I might be in the minority here, but I always liked the Kath Soucie version of Janine. I honestly thought this version of Janine had the best chemistry with Egon in RGB episodes such as The Copycat, Camping It Out, and The Brooklyn Triangle. :)

PostPosted: April 13th, 2008, 4:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm sorry, but making the Administrator wrong about something is a bannable offense here. Goodbye.

Just kidding, of course. :lol:

I won't deny that Soucie had her moments when, given a good script, she actually almost worked in the role ('Janine, You've Changed") I dunno...maybe if she hadn't gotten the job with the mandate of "Be as bland and perky as possible", and had been allowed to play it closer to what Annie Potts in GB1 and Laura Summer had done before her it would have been different. :?

PostPosted: April 13th, 2008, 5:06 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
I voted for Laura Summer. I also liked her verison of Janine and Kath Soucie's Janine, too. Those were my favorites that I enjoyed.

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: April 13th, 2008, 11:32 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
Michele wrote:
I might be in the minority here, but I always liked the Kath Soucie version of Janine. I honestly thought this version of Janine had the best chemistry with Egon in RGB episodes such as The Copycat, Camping It Out, and The Brooklyn Triangle. :)

Well, those were fabulous E/J episodes in general, regardless of what Janine it was...I noticed that Egon also seems more 'relaxed' around the Kath Soucie Janine, probably because she's less forward and a little less intimidating. When E/J finally get together I always think it happened during the Kathie Soucie years, as those episodes he seemed the most comfortable around her. But I also hope that his initial attraction came from the strength and fire of the Laura Summer Janine. Yes folks, I have it all figured out. 8-)

I still think Kathie Soucie's best Janine moment was in the Grundel during the "I love you the most" scene. A sweet moment of redemption, the old Janine spunk and 'tude rears it's head again ("nobody messes with Melnitz!"), thanks to none other than JMS. ;) I gotta say -- a Kathie Soucie Janine written by JMS has gotta be right behind, if not neck and neck with Laura Summer's original Janine...a moment of brilliance...too bad we didn't see more of them in the later seasons. :roll:

PostPosted: April 14th, 2008, 10:35 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
rgbforever wrote:
Michele wrote:

Well, those were fabulous E/J episodes in general, regardless of what Janine it was...I noticed that Egon also seems more 'relaxed' around the Kath Soucie Janine, probably because she's less forward and a little less intimidating. When E/J finally get together I always think it happened during the Kathie Soucie years, as those episodes he seemed the most comfortable around her. But I also hope that his initial attraction came from the strength and fire of the Laura Summer Janine. Yes folks, I have it all figured out. 8-)

I still think Kathie Soucie's best Janine moment was in the Grundel during the "I love you the most" scene. A sweet moment of redemption, the old Janine spunk and 'tude rears it's head again ("nobody messes with Melnitz!"), thanks to none other than JMS. ;) I gotta say -- a Kathie Soucie Janine written by JMS has gotta be right behind, if not neck and neck with Laura Summer's original Janine...a moment of brilliance...too bad we didn't see more of them in the later seasons. :roll:

I agree with you about that moment in The Grundel. It's one of my most favourite moments! :)
That moment & Janine, You've Changed are truly the only moments when Kath's Janine really got to shine.
Both of those eps were written by JMS, who is a genius & was the only one back then who truly knew how to write Janine & Egon, regardless of who was playing Janine, in my opinion.
If only he had've stuck around...
But I do admire his principals for leaving.
I would've too! ;)

I think though the reason Egon seems to feel more comfortable around Kath's Janine has to do with what the writers & animators did.
They made it that way. :roll:

PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 12:57 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Fritz wrote:
I'm sorry, but making the Administrator wrong about something is a bannable offense here. Goodbye.

:o

[
Quote:
Just kidding, of course. :lol:

:lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 1:08 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

rgbforever wrote:
.I noticed that Egon also seems more 'relaxed' around the Kath Soucie Janine, probably because she's less forward and a little less intimidating. :

Hmm...I think this is why I like the Kath Soucie Janine as well. He just seems to gravitate to her more.

for example in Citizen Ghost, Egon pulls Janine (Laura Summer) to safety when one of the "ghost" ghostbusters aims a proton gun at her. He's laying on top of her, she's loving it and right away he gets uncomfortable and jumps up.

Compare that to Camping it Up when Egon once again protects Janine (Kath Soucie) from that crazy bolt of lightning. He doesn't seem so eager to jump up from nearly laying on top of her. He even asks her if she's all right and he helps her up.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 5:52 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Given that in Janine, You've Changed, Egon says, "Remember when she spoke with that really annoying Brooklyn accent?", can we assume that Dr. Spengler himself prefers Kath Soucie's Janine? :twisted: