It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:34 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 4:46 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

ghostdiva wrote:
Personally, I didn't read it to have any type of overtone to it at all harsh or otherwise, I thought it was very neutral, like a history text book sorta (but not in a bad way) it had lots of facts in a truncated timeline.

Apparently Fritz changed it, but in its original form, it had something along the lines of "photocopied plot points" and "technology that doesnt make sense over the course of 20 years of continuity" and stuff like that in it, and if you read THAT and didnt think it was a bit one-sided, then I dunno what kinda text books you're reading. Obviously Fritz felt that what I said had some validity or else he wouldnt have altered it to what it is now, which I think is indeed more neutral and fair, which was the ONLY part of it I didnt like.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 10:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
The "technology that doesnt make sense over the course of 20 years of continuity" I definitely have said, and still believe at this moment. "Slime tethers" and "slamming" still sound ridiculous to me.

I can't remember ever describing the game with "Photocopied plot points" though...I usually use that piece of snark when talking about GB2. :lol:

PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 3:00 am 
Moononite
Moononite

The Slime Tethers and slamming the ghosts is just a product of the fact that they had to make ghost-busting into a GAMING experience. There's not really any actively involved way you can make, what would essentially be "fishing for ghosts" an entertaining way to play, but if you have to slam them around, it makes it more interesting gameplay. The slime tether specifically, I think it could make sense, because the Ghostbusters have collected a lOT of slime over the years, and I'm thinking that they did some experimenting with Slimer's ectoplasm and created the "tethering" slime something along the lines of:

The Ectoplasm from their packs is charged differently than regular Ectoplasm, and when it makes contact with the Ectoplasm of the offending spirit, it basically "weighs it down" which, as we've seen MANY times in various GB material, Ectoplasm can affect other Ectoplasm (ghosts run into each other all the time in the cartoon), so if the Ghostbusters were to blast the ghost with concentrated Ectoplasm that they'd charged differently, it would inhibit the ghost's ability to move as freely as it normally would.

Also, I dont think its outrageous at all that the Ghostbusters would be creating new versions of the ghost-busting technology, after-all, the RGB's pulled a new gaget out of their asses every other episode just in time to save the day, so this shouldnt be THAT much of a stretch to accept.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2009, 12:19 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Well simply shooting a ghost with an ordinary slime blower stream just weakens them. (the system that you have to shoot a ghost to weaken it before you can get the stream to wrap around them and drag them to the trap, by the way, seems perfectly in line with the rpg's ectopresence stat)

The obvious explanation for why that works is something I always assumed would work years before the game: positively charged slime cancels out a ghost's negative charge somewhat. I mean that's why it unpossesses people, so why WOULDN'T it work to just slime a ghost straightforward?

That said, there's no reason to add "slamming" into the stories and we don't have to start using the slime tether, at least not as a weapon. I like it as an environmental tool...

But the stasis stream is an awesome idea, and the other new tools are just weapons that mimic a shotgun and machine gun, respectively, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

But then, I am the guy who thinks a sword is a useful tool for paranormal investigation...

Now the obvious excuse for where all this stuff went, in continuity, is that NONE this equipment is actually essential. After the guys went out of business, it would've been packed away. And the XGBs never busted it out because it's expensive stuff to run and as those of us who really paid attention to the show should remember, they never actually made much money. Everything was in goddamn disrepair, they almost never billed anyone, Egon looked like he was living hand-to-mouth.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2009, 8:28 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Hey uh...Fritz? While we're in the midst of a tumultuous period of timeline edits and such, I think I might wanna add one more to the heap.

It wouldn't drive you too crazy if I told you I wanted to retcon my character's last name, would it? I realize that means combing back through like every GBWC story ever, but I have always regretted using my real name and I figure now's as good a time to see if it's even possible as any.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2009, 10:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

That is a big order, but if it's what you want, I think it can be done. It might take me a week or so to go over just about every page on the GBWC site, and quite a few here, but it's not undoable--just time consuming.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2009, 10:53 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Yeah, I figured as much, which is why I've been reluctant to ask, mulling over the idea for a long time now.

But in the end, it comes down to two things. One, I don't think my name is fictional character-worthy, it just doesn't roll off the tongue or sound natural, and Two, I hate the fact that searching my name on Google turns up my silly hobbies, lol.

Anyway, the new last name I'm thinking of is "Nash".

PostPosted: June 20th, 2009, 2:24 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Darn and I liked your real last name ,

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: June 21st, 2009, 1:11 am 
Moononite
Moononite

I'm sorry Jeff, but the name Nash has been officially copyrighted by me for the Nielson & Nash: Shadow Chaser Investigations graphic novel. :twisted:

PostPosted: June 21st, 2009, 2:54 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I think you should know, Mick...ninjas resolve legal matters the same way they do ALL their problems.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2009, 8:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Like I said, it will take some time to go through every page on the GBWC site, and a bunch on this one. I'm hoping to have it all done and uploaded by next Monday, June 29th.

Probably also a good idea for us to say something about it on the GBWC site.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2009, 9:26 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Yeah, might as well get that over with right away, before anybody posts a new story.

Oh, and don't forget the Chronicles of Gozer site, that still shows up on Google too.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 9:05 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, it should be done, both here and on the GBWC site. It doesn't change message board posts, but all of the Timeline, profile and case file pages should now read "Nash"

I did get the Chronicles of Gozer case file pages adjusted, though there might still be some lingering Chrismers on the rest of the site. But I'm not sure how many people go there anyway.

If you find any strays here or on the GBWC site, let me know.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 4:18 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

You were right, I noticed my last name still pops up a few times on the artwork page of the Chronicles site. Mostly as artist credits, but I don't suppose you'd mind just changing those all to my screen name instead, would ya?

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 9:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Eh, oops. I kinda forgot to check a lot of those pages, as I wasn't sure if anybody paid any attention to them.

I'll try to get those fixed soon.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next