It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:27 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 8:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Mick Nielson wrote:
At this point the whole Egon/Janine thing is getting a bit ridiculous, it doesnt have to be part of every single storyline involving the New York Ghostbusters (I'm talking to YOU, Fritz :lol: )

:lol: I'm trying, Mick. It's just that it's so darn fun. And a crowd pleaser to the small crowd that still gives a shit what I write.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 10:04 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Oh horse hockey. Lots of people still like what you write, and dont pretend that you dont write that stuff for yourself too, haha

PostPosted: August 21st, 2009, 5:33 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Ugh, my internet's been out for a week.

Just to comment, I hope she is not a descendent either, unless they fit it into Fritz's timeline, in which case they will owe Fritz a lot of money and he will have to get a lawyer for the copyrights war that will insue, so maybe I don't want that to happen.

I do however think that Egon has something to do with her appearance, maybe the god is somehow keeping Egon from openly/actively rescuing everyone from his place in the future and Egon found the loop hole in training and sending someone else? That would be awesome. It would totally drive Egon nuts to have the timetravel ability of the future but not have the ability to use it himself. True punishment.

And I really really really wouldn't want to see a world where Egon has a descendant and it's not clear that it was with Janine, just because I don't want to here crap from people about it when I raise cane, because I will!

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 8:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
Ugh, my internet's been out for a week.

Just to comment, I hope she is not a descendent either, unless they fit it into Fritz's timeline, in which case they will owe Fritz a lot of money and he will have to get a lawyer for the copyrights war that will insue, so maybe I don't want that to happen.

About as likely as them putting in the Junior Ghostbusters, I'd bet.

Quote:
I do however think that Egon has something to do with her appearance, maybe the god is somehow keeping Egon from openly/actively rescuing everyone from his place in the future and Egon found the loop hole in training and sending someone else? That would be awesome. It would totally drive Egon nuts to have the timetravel ability of the future but not have the ability to use it himself. True punishment.

I admit, when someone posted spoilers on #3 at GBCentral, which mentioned Egon acting as a "benevolent dictator", I definitely thought about your remark about "Nodus in green". It's kinda eerie.

Quote:
And I really really really wouldn't want to see a world where Egon has a descendant and it's not clear that it was with Janine, just because I don't want to here crap from people about it when I raise cane, because I will!

He could always have cloned himself, but I think I much prefer him doing with Janine the Old Fashioned Way. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 12:50 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Quote:
I admit, when someone posted spoilers on #3 at GBCentral, which mentioned Egon acting as a "benevolent dictator", I definitely thought about your remark about "Nodus in green". It's kinda eerie.

Great minds, Fritz, great minds...I am taking that as hope that this comic will be better than the other side, I am difinatley intragued. My comic store says end of Sept. That seems like such a long way away.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 6:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters: Displaced Aggression #1

I've used this format before, but it seems extra appropriate for this one:

The Good:

Venkman is awesome here. In the cartoon, he was a big fan of Westerns, and here he hams it up, getting to actually live one of those Dewey LaMort stories he read as a kid. He spouted tough guy phrases, shot the desperadoes, got to sex up the cute schoolmarm--this has been a dream come true for him.

Well, okay, there's the part about being thrown into the timestream and seperated from the others, but there's always gotta be a downside, right?

The plot I can't complain about; it slightly resembles "Tobin and the Maze of Time", a Now Comics story (RGB Vol.2 #0-4) but "Koza'Rai" is a much cooler villain name than "Evil". The events of the next few issues will tell, of course, but it's off to a good start.

The Bad:

Sigh...

When you introduce a new character who comes out of nowhere and shows up the canon characters (by, you know, doing things like rewriting the laws of GB physics so crossing the streams isn't "bad" or creating a time travelling version of ECTO-1), and just happens to be strikingly beautiful, has her own super special flight suit, and a decent shot with a proton pack, you have something that is commonly called a Mary Sue.

Rachel Unglighter is Mary Sueing all over the place here.

It really makes me wish our first assumption--that she was from the future, and probably sent by Egon from there--was right. That would have made a lot more sense than the backstory she gave. Assuming it was accurate, of course...

Remember back in the days of The Real Ghostbusters? There was a line in the RGB bible, where J. Micheal Straczynski addressed the issue of Gozer, and basically said "Forget about him. he's history." Nowadays, you can't swing a ghost trap without smacking into a Gozer cross-reference. The Video Game was all about Gozer, and worst of all retconned a Gozer/Vigo connection. Name dropping in Ghost Busted and The Other Side. And now a new villain...just happens to be Gozer's father.

I guess next they'll bring back Gozo, Son of Gozer, and Horg the Gozarian, Gozer's Scottish redneck uncle from the Marvel UK books. All they need then is a skanky Mary Sue Cousin (since Gozer already has two dogs) to complete the set.

Oh crap, did I just guess Rachel's real origin? (lol)

The Ugly:

Definitely not the art. The art is a lot zippier than in the last mini-series (though I didn't hate the art in The Other Side as much as some did; I guess some of it's the old "He's still a lot better than me" factor)

Though the zombies were ugly. And the train. But that was intentional.

:P

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

OK I'm glad someone on here jumped first, I didn't want to be alone.

I don't like Rachel! She hasn't done anything aweful yet, but I really hope they kick here to the curb at the end. And the reasons I don't like her have nothing to do with what's mentioned already.

She has no empathy! She is mad at the civilians for not being as great as she was and strapping on a pack. Excuse humans for being afraid of something they don't understand. Especially in the wild west. That's not even modern time, so PFFFTTT. :P

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2009, 9:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not gonna write the character off completely after only one issue, but it's gonna be a lot harder to sell me on her either after her Mary Sue entrance and the issue you mention.

Scott Lobdell is an experienced, successful writer; I'm still holding out some hope that he's gonna pull a twist or two that will redeem the story's problems.

If not, well, I'll be right there in three months declaring the miniseries a failure. But it has to earn it first.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 10:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
And I am very excited to see the Janine story, I've always wondered what she would do if she found herself alone indefinately. How would she care for the containment unit, how would she keep the building up, pay the bills, cope emotionally. I think that will be a great opportunity to get more into Janine's character.

Some excerpts from #4 now up at Proton Charging

Spoiler Comments Ahead:

I love the suggestion that Koza'Rai decided she was important enough to throw into the timestream like the guys. Hinting that she'd shag some pirate I'm not so keen on, but it's still got to be a step up from Louis. And it's NOT Louis that the pirate tries to compare his prowess to, either, which is a small plus in a big minus.

Of course, there's a screwball tone to the whole thing that causes some suspicion as to how seriously the whole side story can be taken. We'll see, I guess.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 5:21 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

So, I read this several hours ago, and I still have no comment worth making, I think it made my brain go numb. I seriously don't know whether to laugh or cry or what.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 7:07 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Ok after some time to think about this monstrosity I have to say I'm kinda pissed.

My comment is that Janine is NOT a WHORE!

Why in the world would she do something like that and then still have such obvious feelings for Egon that she discussed it with that neanderthal?!!

They should just paint a scarlet A on her for all this implies.

On the other hand, would you consider the comment to mean that she told this guy she had slept with Egon, thereby making it cannon?

I don't know if the confirmation would make me feel any differently towards this, but you know, life goes on.

And like I said before, I really do consider all this new stuff to be nothing more than a level of fanfic which was paid for, sort of like prostitution, which fits nicely in this post I think. :twisted:

EDIT: Oh, and why isn't anyone else commenting on this like its fine and they aren't insulted?

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 7:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

As I said above, there's a whole "gag story" quality to the material we've seen that makes it hard to take very seriously.

And like you said, nothing in this mini-series *has* to become GBOT fan fic canon.

I'm not thrilled about it either, but I'm not gonna thorw a huge fit until we see the final result. If she makes up at the end and it was all a dream, we're getting worked up over nothing.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 7:50 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Quote:
I'm not thrilled about it either, but I'm not gonna thorw a huge fit until we see the final result. If she makes up at the end and it was all a dream, we're getting worked up over nothing.

Well, maybe, but I'm not going to hold my breath that it's a gag, I mean we all saw GB 2 right? Some people really have no love for the woman, and they really don't get her either sometimes I think. So I'm a little worried.

BTW the art for that piece is terrible! It looks like a child did it in like 5 minutes, blah!

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 9:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
Well, maybe, but I'm not going to hold my breath that it's a gag, I mean we all saw GB 2 right? Some people really have no love for the woman, and they really don't get her either sometimes I think. So I'm a little worried.

And I'm not saying it's unjustified, either. Believe me, I'm sick to death of seeing some of the recent licensees treat Dana, Louis, and Walter F***ing Peck as more important characters than her (and sometimes even Winston).

Quote:
BTW the art for that piece is terrible! It looks like a child did it in like 5 minutes, blah!

I think that's one of the things that causes me to look at it as a "gag story". It looks more like a parody from Mad or Cracked magazines (or a Slimer! story) than a "real" story.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 6:55 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Yep, I'm on the same page as you guys. Frankly, I'm totally unimpressed.

Spoilers and a good, old-fashioned profanity-filled general rant about the situation ahead:

Better than Louis? Not really, in my opinion. He loses major points for boasting about how great he is in the sack and we know next-to-nothing about him. Louis was around in GB1 and we had some idea of who he was so it didn't seem Janine was desperate for anyone; just desperate. This guy screams one night stand, if anything.  At least in GB2 we were spared the sight of Janine naked in bed with a semi-naked Louis boasting about how he's 'better than Egon'! 

Are we supposed to take some form of comfort in the fact that the guy has a throwaway line about Egon as he's buttoning up his pants? Seriously, is this shit real? I can only hope this spoiler excerpt is some kind of dream sequence or something, which would only just excuse this fuckery.

Why is it that Venkman can have a full-on reciprocal kiss and romance storyline with Dana in GB1 & 2 and Winston can have the same with his girlfriend in the previous IDW series; but what we E/J fans get is Janine blatantly slutting it up over Louis in GB2, and screwing some random guy in this comic series. Gee, thanks a bunch, guys. Sure, we get a few chaste Egon/Janine almost-there moments in the films, cartoon series and video game, but it's not the same as a full-fledged relationship/romance storyline which we are frankly waaaay overdue. 

Even if this 'teaser' does imply that J/E have slept together at some point (and thus making it canon), I totally despise the fact that we find out about it via some asshole who has just screwed Janine. What's wrong with E/J being interrupted mid-bonk, or Egon reluctantly admitting that he and Janine were together the previous night? Any other way but that would have been nice. 

All in all, it seems to me that this is just another way of screwing over E/J fans and trying to make it all funny. Even if it is just a gag story, it's still at Janine's expense (as per usual). Ha, ha, let's all laugh at stupid Janine for fucking the wrong guy again. Even though the previous IDW series wasn't great, at least in the few frames Janine was in she looked fantastic, and she didn't sleep with any old guy who came along. 

Any idea whether the guy who wrote this has a mad crush on Egon, because it would make a hell of a lot of sense if he did. :lol:

I'm going to echo a plea that I heard somewhere and ask for Fritz to get writing on a comic script and send it to these morons, because frankly it seems like he's the only one who has the balls to write Egon and Janine in a loving relationship. 

Also, I totally agree about the crappy-looking artwork in this teaser. I've seen fanart by 10 year olds which has looked better. 

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.