PostPosted: June 22nd, 2010, 12:07 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Cancer
Yup, this one's going on my pull list!

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 10:21 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Anybody else think that shadowy spectre looks like Slimer?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 2:35 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
yes I do.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: October 26th, 2010, 11:21 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I keep waiting on someone to comment on this first.
There are some things in this story that I really like. What did you guys think?

The easter eggs are hilarious and endless BTW the book is worth it just for the art!

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 3:12 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
I loved it. I totally agree with you about the art. It's is soo much better than the other comics, and I think it is the only one so far which has come anywhere near to 88mph quality. The only thing I didn't like was Winston being missing through most of it, but I suppose it kind of worked with the story.

I liked the new take on the Samuel Hain story, and that the comic made some references to RGB. I also really liked the fact that Janine was more central in this comic; it makes a nice change to see her used in more than just a frame or two. The comedy wasn't forced, like I felt it was at times in the other IDW comics, and the characterisation, which I found a bit hit-and-miss before, was perfect. It was totally worth buying this one, and I hope we get more of this quality. I think it is the best one so far!

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2010, 11:33 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
Anyone have a link or a scan of this story? Where can I find it??

Thanks so much...and Happy Halloween y'all!!!!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2010, 6:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I hate to have to put on my Admin hat, but if you have a link like that, PM it to her if you must, but do not post it. There's something in the Rules against scans to current comic book titles. Thanks.

:)

Well, this being Halloween I finally sat down and read this thing.

Spoilers Ahoy:

The Art:

I admit, I'm not as huge a fan of Dan Schoening as some in the GB Community. I mean, yeah, he's a hell of a lot better than me, which goes without saying, but I think Too Zuul for School summed it up better than I could.

That being said, if we have to have "Sorta like the movie actors but not close enough to get sued" likenesses, Dapper Dan's art this issue is hard to disagree with. We can even tell Ray and Venkman apart pretty easily, which other artists have sturggled with. The fact that Dan obviously knows and loves the cartoons, and keep sneaking in little in-jokes to them--including two panels of the "real" Venkman wearing a Winchester Wolf hat!--brings an energy to the story that has been missing in some of the previous IDW books.

Egon and Janine both use PKE Meters that show the influence of the cartoon meter. The swing arms look more like the movie prop, but their location recalls the cartoons. Very nice touch.

I didn't really care for Janine's custom costume this issue, being composed of a shirt with a bare midriff and short shorts (though at least the short shorts were slightly more practical than the mini-skirt on the cover), and of course I wish Dan had chosen a different haircut--this one is basically the GB2/1989 RGB look that I inevitably associate with the absolute nadir of her characterization. But darn it, other than that, she's as cute as a button, and that goes a long way.

I realize that a sexist uniform for her is precedented though--they stuck her in a vomitous pink flight suit in the cartoon. I guess this is the tan equivalent of that. At least she's wearing sensible boots instead of stiletto heels or something, right? :roll:

The Story:

Peter David is one of my favorite comic writers of all. I didn't read much of his Incredible Hulk but soaked up the awesomeness he brought to DC's Star Trek adaptations, and of course his two awesome runs on X-Factor (the latter of which is still ongoing); actually, X-Factor #210 came out the same week as What In The Samhain Just Happened?, so I got a Peter David double dose!

"Reality" TV gets savaged here, with a slimebag producer trying to make money off of his problem; he's kind of a thematic descendant of Artie Grendel, Julio Ramanajan (from the Now Comics run), or the guys from 20/40/60. Like Venkman says: "Of course we know his type! I am his type!" Makes me wonder if Lester knows ol' Charlie...

One major attraction of this story is the spotlight it gives to Janine. This is the most active she's been since...well, hell, come to think of it, this is the most important she's been to a story since the whole "Revival" started in 2004! She was barely even in any of IDW's stuff up until now, so this featuring role was more than overdue.

And even better...Peter David handles the character well. She may have the GB2 haircut, but we see the same firey, gutsy character we grew to love in GB1 and the JMS era. Maybe she's a little reckless in taking on this job singlehandedly, but she isn't stupid about it, and keeps her cool the whole time. Yeah, sure, the guys have to help out at the end, but it is their name on the comic, I guess, and the rest of it was so good I'll overlook that.

Strangely enough, of the male Ghostbusters, the one who seems most prominant in this story is Egon. But since he's the one of the four with the closest personal connection to Janine: even if you don't count the cartoons, where he clearly falls for her eventually, there's still GB1. He materializes for the first time when she's arguing with Lester, and responds to her distress with obvious focus and determination.

In other words, there's nothing an Egon/Janine shipper here could complain about. :lol:

And even when Janine isn't involved, he gets some great moments. I think Peter David channelled just a little bit of "Petro Maximoff Syndrome" here; just like Quicksilver can be an insufferable jerk because his dealings with everyone else are like dealing with snails in an ATM line, Egon shows some snarkiness which could be justified by the fact that he really is smarter than everyone else. But again, notice how quick his annoyance at being interrupted evaporates when he finds out why Lester called...

I guess that it's inevitable that, in a one-issue story concentrating on a character who hasn't had much spotlight lately, somebody had to get the short end of the stick: in this case, Winston spends most of the story on vacation. I can't exactly approve of it, but the strength of the rest of the story means I can forgive it.

All in all, I enjoyed it a great deal.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 9:16 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
I'm late for everything but THIS HERE is my favorite IDW comic issue. Not only because it's about Janine, not only because they didn't shy from hinting at Egon's feelings for her, not only because I got to see her threaten a guy with giving him a fat lip and in the end the story acknowledged that she's as capable as the guys with the proton pack. The issue also points out a part of Janine's character that I love: Her empathy, her compassion.

Sure, she's a smart-mouth, she's loud and has a temper, but she's also a hard-working woman, a good listener and all the common sense the guys can lack at times, and this includes remembering that the ghosts they're facing were people at some point. Yes, she got stuck in the soft dimensional spot, or whatever, but when she stopped trying to do things the way the guys did it and begun using what came naturally to her, she was THIS close to solving things by herself- then the guys came in shooting. In the end, it's her that makes Sam leave the place and solves the case, simply because she approaches the topic in a much more spiritual, emotional way than the guys do in most cases.

(I actually think this is the first time in IDW comics we see a ghost pass on without being trapped, simply for being talked into it, but I might be wrong. If I'm right, however, we see do see Peter and even Winston try this approach later on, implying Janine ultimately helped them realize it was a thing that could be done)

Like I said, my favorite IDW issue and I'm forever grateful to my sister for getting it for me on christmas.