It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:27 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 9:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I apologize for the lack of updates lately. Things in Real Life haven't been optimal, and I've been struggling with the next story I intend to have out ("Flip Side War, part 6") for pretty much the same reasons I had problems with Gozer--it's the part with all the big "action movie" pay off that I consider my weak spot.

Anyway...

As part of the project to integrate some part of the Video Game into the GBOT universe, thanks to the advice and consultation of the members of the Ectozone forum, I've made the first semi-significant retcon: Mayor Jock Mulligan is now GBOT canon from 1990-1993, replacing Ghostbusters: The Return Mayor Arnie Lapinski.

The following stories have been altered, mostly simply to mention Jock: Parts 3 and 4 of "Pandora's Box", "Back In The Saddle?" (the newspaper article), and "Twenty Five Years Later". Arnie is still mentioned as the Republican candidate for Mayor in 1989, but in the revised continuity he loses to Mulligan (of the New York State Independant Party, making the events have a slightly different nod to The Return)

More to come soon hopefully before too long.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2010, 10:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The New Timeline has undergone some updating. "Displaced Aggression", "Past, Present and Future", and "Tainted Love" have been added , as well as some expansion to the listing for GBVG.

I've decided to try moving most of the IDW and Tokyopop stuff back to 1990, currently only placing "Tainted Love" in 1991. "Con-Volution" will be placed their too, presumably.

For whatever reason, it seems appropriate to me to keep things happening before GBVG unless/until one of the stories actually alludes to happening after it (which I figure will happen eventually, but hasn't yet). I'm also trying to keep everything happening in more or less the order it was released, though so far it really doesn't have to.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 9:16 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
Some comments, and thoughts...

Personally I don't get the feeling that IDW comics should be taken all that seriously. Looking over what I've read thus far, it is weak and as I read on here a little while ago unghostbustistic. Keep hammering away at adding the GB: TVG(Realistic Version) stuff anyways, as it for the most part feels true to the movie canon and it well written stuff.

Anyways that is my 2 cents.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2010, 11:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I added "Con-Volution" to the New Timeline.

I basically added it to the GBI Timeline too--it's the first IDW project that didn't strike me as too close to something that had already been done in the GBOT/GBI Continuity from RGB. Sure, there was "Captain Steel Saves The Day", but Frank Bancroft was clearly a Golden Age artist instead of a Silver Age one, and the rest of the plot was different enough that I didn't feel it was redundant. (As "Other Side" felt too close thematically to "Ghost Gangsters" and "Partners In Slime"; "Displaced Aggression" thematically recalled "Tobin and the Maze of Time"; "Past, Present, Future" hit some of the same grounds as "X-Mas Marks the Spot". )

PostPosted: January 25th, 2011, 4:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Some food for thought from Harry Bardwell on GBFans:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 66&t=24094

It's a long post, so I'm not going to copy it, but it's worth a look.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2011, 9:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

More updates to the New Timeline

I rearranged the IDW stuff. It now currently all happens in 1990, leaving some time open for the ongoing series before it starts to clash with GBVG. It means that the IDW books are now no longer in their release order, but unless/until IDW does something that is definitively placed after GBVG, I want to leave some "breathing room"

I also updated it with material from "What The Sam Hain Just Happened?" and "Infestation"

I've also added material from Sanctum of Slime. There wasn't a whole lot that could be considered "canon-breaking" unless/until GB3 actually happens, and the game writers tried to minimize any potential conflicts. I haven't added SOS to the GBI timeline yet, but am considering whether to do so or not Thanks to Paul Rudoff and mrmichealt for the SOS script, which proved essential to doing this.

Perhaps most notably, though, I decided to use the revelations about the ECU and Stay Puft from "Infestation" as a doorway to go ahead and integrate the very first "revival" product, Ghostbuster: Legion into the New Timeline. Until now, I left it out because, like RGB, it is contradicted by a strict interpretation of GB2--where the Ghostbusters are forced out of business just after defeating Gozer. The Ghostbusters: Infestation mini-series provided enough room to re-open the possibility of post-GB1 pre-shutdown cases, so it's back in. That makes it, if you're keeping track, the only non-movie story to be part of both Timelines at this writing.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 9:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

If you've been following the news on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=409

...You'll know that my recent revisions to the New Timeline may already be invalid. The new ongoing series features references to PCOC, which is created in the Video Game, thus suggesting that the series takes place after the game.

I'm still debating with myself whether to go ahead and put the IDW stuff "back" into the order I had it in (more or less it's release order) or wait until the comic comes out. It depends on whether the mood to do all the cutting and pasting strikes me, I guess.

If I change it, expect a post here noting it.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2011, 9:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I forgot to mention that, on Monday, I did go and revise the New Timeline. The IDW stuff is 'back" where it was before the May update, and "Infestation" was moved to early 1992. I figure, using the "sliding time scale" concept from the big companies, roughly everything IDW publishes from 2011-2014 will be put in 1992 unless there's a compelling in-story reason to do otherwise.

I really don't know if any of it can be made to work in the GBI/Ectozone fanon continuity, though. The Ghostbusters pulled the plug, according to "As Dreams Fade", on November 9, 1991; it's already a massive conflict with the Thanksgiving time frame of the Video Game. And there isn't much "give" in this point in the GBI Timeline, because moving much of anything sprock up Winston's wedding, Venkman's wedding, and the ages of Charlene Zeddemore and Jessica Venkman. IDW may have to stay, at least as far as GBOT fan fic is concerned, basically apocryphal. :|

PostPosted: October 19th, 2011, 11:46 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Quick additional reference I caught...Janine's VW is pink in Ghostworld too.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 12:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Good catch. I haven't gotten to that one in the DVD set yet. I've had the darn thing two years and still haven't finished it; problems with access to the DVD player, and all the current stuff I watch that gets piled up.

Thanks.
:)

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 9:05 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
No problem. :) I'm probably going to get the set with birthday money myself; I've wanted it for years and doubt it'll be money wasted.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 3:33 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

As I sorta promised at one point, the New Timeline has been updated to include stuff from issues 1-8 of IDW's ongoing series.

As always, remember that it's an unofficial hybrid of almost everything since 2004's "Legion" mini-series, not an Official IDW Timeline. I try to note where I go against something IDW said whenever that happens, though.

There's one bit of major conjecture under 1956 concerning a character who recently debuted in the series. I add another layer to his in-joke value. Hope you all get a kick out of it.

:)

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2012, 9:40 am 
Administrator
Administrator

So just what is his name anyway?

Back in the day, we're talking like 1988, I tagged him with the name "Conrad" because I was a dumb teenager and thought "Conrad the Conman" was funny.

Fan fic guru Shiela Paulson called him "Charlie", and the name stuck. Heck, I liked it myself, so much so that when I started writing fan fic and putting the Timeline together for general released, I used it. "Conrad" became an artifact which only appeared as his middle name (and in only one story, to boot).

I'd heard someone asking about the name "Jim Venkman" years ago. It's mentioned on Spook Central under the listing for "Treasure of the Sierra Tamale". But I trusted my memory which said it wasn't in the actual broadcast episode, and even had someone (I won't name names to implicate them in my error) say their recollections matched.

And then the DVDs came out.

I've been waffling on this one for a long time. "Charlie" is a very popular name. People haven't exactly been beating down my door saying "You're wrong about this!" But the Ghostbusters Wiki recently changed their own entries, and I sat down and confirmed that there is, indeed, a mention of the name "Jim" in the aforementioned episode.

I hate being wrong. I hate it when I make an error like this in my research. It reminded me of how a few years back I missed the mention of Janine's sister's name in an episode of EGB.

But most of all, I hate staying wrong. So I got over my combination of foolish pride and laziness, and got to fixing it.

Now, I admit that I still like the name "Charlie" better. And it's mentioned in quite a few places in my stories. "Jim" is relatively obscure, but backed up by canon. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best:

According to the Timeline, the Fact List, and the fan fic "Charlie Takes the Fifth", his full name is now James Charles Venkman.

All the mentions of "Charlie" are still valid, because in the GBOT fan fic continuity, at least, that's what he goes by. But the canonality of "Jim" is now acknowledged.

And "Conrad the Conman" is fully part of the dustbin of history. Well, except for the Apocrypha of "Charlie Takes the Fifth". Just one more ways that version of the story is an artifact of discarded story ideas.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2012, 4:14 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I think that's a far trade off, I always liked the name Charlie for him.

I think I was the one to bring up both name corrections... I guess I am just that OCD!

PostPosted: October 4th, 2012, 4:56 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
I will say this in your defense, watching the commentary for "Venkman's Ghost Repellers" Mueller was asked about Peters dad's first name, and he didn't remember it. (Timestamp 4:14-4:28)

But even with Richard's bad memory (he notes that a few times) it is clear in "The Treasure of Sierra Tamale" that Winston says "Jim" (Timestamp 3:44).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next