It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 1:10 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Just some little things I noticed...

Janine seems to be attracted to magical objects. Picked a magic lamp out of a pile of junk, reads an enchanted book when she potentially could have just gone and chosen out of an extensive library, etc. I'm pretty sure there are more examples.

Egon attracts trouble, seriously. He might literally have a cosmic target painted on his back, maybe a sort of beacon that says "hey, hit me with that death beam, that sounds great." Need something bad to happen to someone? It happens to Egon 9/10 times.

Peter acts like a mild precognitive, predicts the phone ringing, has some uncanny luck.

I haven't really been watching as much for it, so I'm not sure about Ray or Winston.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 7:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
APaleHorse wrote:
Just some little things I noticed...

Janine seems to be attracted to magical objects. Picked a magic lamp out of a pile of junk, reads an enchanted book when she potentially could have just gone and chosen out of an extensive library, etc. I'm pretty sure there are more examples.

I half suspect that the writers seized on the one line in the movie about her being "Very psychic". May also have something to do with why the lotsabucks chose her, even with lots of other women in New York with self esteem problems who weren't working for the guys ghosts tell scary stories about. I also admit I like to "blame" GB2 on her psychic sensativity + bubbling river of ectoplasmic slime making her act like a doped out slut.

Quote:
Egon attracts trouble, seriously. He might literally have a cosmic target painted on his back, maybe a sort of beacon that says "hey, hit me with that death beam, that sounds great." Need something bad to happen to someone? It happens to Egon 9/10 times.

Curiosity that doesn't know when to quit. I admit in my personal worldview, advancing age, the weight of experience ("Wait...last time I tried something like this, I got sucked into the Netherworld..."), and the influence of his friends calmed him down somewhat.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 12:50 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
I admit, curiosity probably plays into it, but bad things do seem to mostly happen to Egon, haha!

I wonder if they keep a scoreboard somewhere.

"Okay, so that's two for Peter and sixty-eight for Egon."
"I'm never going to catch up at this rate..."
"I doubt you would want to."

PostPosted: January 6th, 2012, 3:33 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the reason Egon was chosen as a universal target was because the writers wanted the other guys to show themselves and their wits - if only when helping him out. Because whenever Egon is not incapacitated with some mishap he can find a solution to anything. It'd almost feel at times like "The Egon Spengler Show (and the other 3 guys)".

It was probably also the reason for some initially odd situations (like Janine going to the exhibit with Winston and not with Egon in "20000 leagues beneath the street" - that was probably done only to hold off the resolution until later because Egon would've just guessed everything right there and then).

Speaking of abilities... when I fooled around with modding Warcraft III I've created a "Ghostbuster" neutral hero (hireable at the tavern) replacing one of the built-in ones. He had Chain Lightning, Scanner Sweep (reveals invisible stuff around), and Trap (summons a trap that can suck another unit inside and slowly destroy it, or detonate to dispel magic around). Could not decide on the Ultimate ability tho. :D Thought of a morphing ability disguised as a weapon mode - so that he would be able to belt out very high Magic damage (against Ethereal units and such).
:D

PostPosted: April 11th, 2012, 9:50 am 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Zodiac: Capricorn
Heh, yeah, remember someone calling Egon "the dartboard of the universe". Of course it builds a better plot if the brains is incapacitated or missing. When it comes to JMS he admitted Egon is his favorite character, so maybe also because of this on his behalf. There's always Ray filling in as the brains when Egon isn't around, and Winston gets to use his down to earth approach. And Peter... well, he's the guy who needs simplified explanations so the viewers understand more. Doesn't come up with a lot of solutions, ones that actually work out.

Having written lots of fanfic, it's indisputable Egon's fun to put in trouble.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 4:25 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Aries
Egon didn't have a very normal childhood. His parents pushed the "learning is everything" deal onto him so hard that he put it in front of his own welfare and the feelings of others, hence why he can seem almost careless at times.
He didn't really interact with friends or anyone who could teach him otherwise until he made friends with Peter and Ray in college.
As he worked alongside them he slowly improved at considering consequences, so thoughts like "I'm going to drill a hole in my head, it might improve my chances of having psychic experiences"' became "Hold on, if my calculations are slightly wrong I could die and my friends will be upset".
I also think that's why trouble was attracted to him. When he was younger, he probably slacked on precautions during tests and experiments if it meant getting better results. I wouldn't be surprised if he accidentally cursed himself or something similar.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2013, 3:25 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
ghostbuster-cahill wrote:
Egon didn't have a very normal childhood.

I think that is a understatement.

Lets not for get that the man was tormented by the boogy man.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: May 11th, 2013, 4:24 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Aries
God, the 3 scientists are so hilarious and fun to watch but their childhoods are really depressing when you think about them too deeply.

I don't think Winston and Ray have anything Supernatural about them, unless you count Ray's talent for becoming possessed. The point of Winston's character is to be the grounded normal guy so being psychic or something would defeat the purpose of that.