It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:47 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: IDW Ghostbusters #6
PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 4:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #6:

We open #6 with Kylie researching the current...difficulty, and being Kylie she comes up with answers. Some jerk messed with something he shouldn't have almost four hundred years ago, and now there's a Manitou running loose and it's our heroes job to clean up this mess.

By the way, Manitou is something from real folklore. Look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitou

See? There's all sorts of neat stuff like that just waiting to be used. It's so much better than being lazy and going "Well, let's come up with some more relatives for Gozer..." :lol:

I also daresay, compared to the EGB version, IDW Kylie seems to dress just a tad more girly and "stereotypical" Goth. I certainly don't remember EGB Kylie wearing the lace fingerless gloves, but I'm sure if I'm wrong about that mrmichealt or Harry Bardwell will dig up some screencaps to prove it :lol: Not a complaint, just a comment--since technically IDW Kylie is not EGB Kylie, but a parallel dimension counterpart, they don't have to be exactly alike (And they already aren't, because Egon would certainly remember "Oh yes...you're that girl that worked at Ray's bookstore a few years ago." Heck, IDW Kylie would have to be older; she probably has to be at least sixteen to get a work permit, and EGB Kylie wouldn't be 16 until early 1995. I realize the IDW timeline is a little vague, but I don't think we've gone that far into the future from GBVG.)

Anyway, back in Schenectady (Schenectady Schenectady heh hehhehheh heh...) the Ghostbusters process the info from Kylie; Ray declares it a "Code Regan", a reference to "The Exorcist". Venkman asks if they could blast a possessed person; Egon says it could, with a weak enough stream, and them reminds Venkman how they did it to free him from Wot in "Mrs. Roger's N..." Oh, wait, damn, that didn't happen in this universe, but the idea sounds similar enough to please me. So the Ghostbustsers decide to split up (because, of course, they can do more damage that way).

We get a cut scene back in New York, with Jake Kong, the guy previously seen musing starting his own paranormal investigation company (I know he had a real name, but I'm not going to bother to look it up right now) getting a Mysteeerious Package from some dude named Harry. I guess the plan is proceeding. Wonder what he'll call it? Ghosts R Us? Wait! I know! Ghost Busters! There's no way anybody could confuse the two then!

So Ray and Venkman have gone one direction, and Venkman, never one to not let a crisis pass him by, grabs Ray and tugs on his ears as Winston and Egon aren't here to stop him. He's been bothered all day by Egon's groupies last issue, and drags the truth out of Ray: Egon's writing a book. A book using a computer program designed to create patterns to stimulate the brain. Excerpts of the book have already appeared, and thus the fangirls.

On the one hand, Egon's dicked around with people's emotional responses before ("Let's take away the puppy") But it still doesn't quite add up. What are we missing?

Holy crap. Almost like Egon's setting something in a place where someone who "reads a lot" might see it?

Fritz's Snarky Comments On #5 wrote:
Janine growls at Venkman and Peck while they're having their pissing match, and Winston quietly notes to Ray that she's been really "aggressive" lately. Ray pulls a Sgt. Shultz and "Knows nothing".

Right Ray. "I know nothing." We see women who don't even know Egon being "stimulated" by his computerized writing...what's that sucker gonna do to someone who knows him and already has an established history of being "stimulated" by him without computer programs?

Oh Roger, I almost feel sorry for you now. Almost.

Er, Anyway, just about then Ray and Venkman are attacked by Stay Puft plushies, stuffed monkeys in beanies, and more in-jokes that mrmichealt has undoubtedly already listed. After blasting them they're attacked by a giant monkey statue, and they blow it up. Ray remarks how many statues they've had to fight lately...

Venkman: Yeah. We should probably stop making ghosts out of busts.

Ray throws a rock at him, but he deserved it. I'd accuse Venkman of reading "Pearls Before Swine" again, but that strip didn't start until 2002.

We turn to Egon and Winston, who are having a much more professional conversation, as Winston doesn't care about Egon's love life. They intend to follow the flow to the source, but the animated horses from the carousel wish to say "Neigh!" to that idea. (Ah, damnit, now I'm doing it). A few proton beams later, and the stampede isn't going anywhere near a college. (Yes, I'm a Louis Black fan, why do you ask?)

The Ghostbusters regroup and find the possessed Scotty Whittington. They try to talk to the manitou, and Winston has a cunning plan: try to lure the entity out, offering himself as a new host, but have Ray trap the ghost in transit. The manitou thinks about it, but decides he doesn't like Winston's "taste"...he's too selfless and compassionate (why, the manitou must skim DC Comics, because when it looks at Winston he glows compassionate indigo and everything). Egon and Ray are too motivated by desire for knowledge (Would that be green? We don't see it's lanternscan of them) colored by a "bland" lust (One of them lusting after only one Brooklyn redhead, maybe?). But Venkman...boo-yah! Greed and want! Look at that bright orange...oops, wait, Venkman's yellow, guess the manitou doesn't read DC Comics, or Venkman's scared out of his gourd at that exact moment.

The entity leaves Scotty, and Egon opens a trap...

When the smoke clears, Scotty's teeth ache but he's otherwise fine. Mom, Dad, and Uncle DiTillio are gonna be thrilled. All's well that ends well, time to go home and rub this in Peck's...

Oops. Guess that trap didn't work after all. Venkman's looking a bit green and zombielike in that last panel...

You know I'll be here for the exciting conclusing, in just one month!

Post subject: Re: IDW Ghostbusters #6
PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 12:09 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
I heart everything about the series so far...however...THIS is what has me chomping at the bit with impatience:

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 12:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah. I've tried my best to impress on him that if he blows this, there's gonna be scads of angry people after his scalp. Some of us still haven't 100% forgiven Ramis for GB2, and that was twenty-three years ago. :lol:

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 9:26 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Fritz wrote:
Yeah. I've tried my best to impress on him that if he blows this, there's gonna be scads of angry people after his scalp. Some of us still haven't 100% forgiven Ramis for GB2, and that was twenty-three years ago. :lol:

I think he's WELL aware that his head's on the block with that situation. Kinda feel bad for him... ;)
I'm keeping the utmost faith in him...and look forward to hearing the cries of outrage of Egon fangirls. :twisted:

Oh Ramis...he broke my heart too.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 9:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=11450

Erik Burnham wrote:
I know there's a pretty big faction out there that sees Egon and Janine as the It Couple of the franchise... mostly due to the cartoon. (Movie Egon, you are a cold and distanced Player. lol)

Quote:
What do you Ghostheads think? Should they? Should they not? (Your opinion shall not sway me.)

Outside of Fritz. I know what you think, buddy. lol.

:lol:

Ghostdiva, PaleHorse, kaotic, everyone else. You want to stuff the ballot box, now is the time... :ej4ever:

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 11:42 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Quote:
Ghostdiva, PaleHorse, kaotic, everyone else. You want to stuff the ballot box, now is the time... :ej4ever:

Just finally got verified, should be more coherent tomorrow so I'll pipe in then; even with him stating our opinion won't sway him...BAH.

And you sir...nice honourable mention today:
http://protoncharging.com/2012/03/01/wh ... n-the-way/
"Admittedly, I have to look up a whole lot of the easter eggs after reading each issue – and usually look toward fellow longtime Ghosthead Fritz for his encyclopedic knowledge to lead an epiphany or two."

Nice. :D

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 12:32 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
kaotic86 wrote:
I heart everything about the series so far...however...THIS is what has me chomping at the bit with impatience:

Apparently we'll be seeing Roger in issue #8, which will be verrry interesting... :D Can't wait!
This comic is genius.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 3:11 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Well, I just got my confirmation for the IDW boards. It came Friday, but I've been out of town. I'll work on what I have to say.

I was worried they had blocked me because I'm pretty much as vocal as Fritz (and Burnman's probably sick of hearing from me. :oops: )

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 1:51 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Just a fun thing I noticed, which may or may not mean anything...I am a durp.

roger
rr oge
Flip one r around and butt it up against the other r
n oge
Then reverse and tada, egon.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 3:21 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Funny you should say that.

Back when Roger was first mentioned I thought it would be hilarious if he had been a pseudonym for Egon and that the two of them might have just made him up to keep their relationship a secret from the others.

Strange how our minds work, huh? :lol: :mrgreen:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 2:20 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Probably not the case, but it sure won't stop me from writing a short AU about it! Mwahahaha.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2012, 11:28 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Well I still can not get on the IDW board! I have tried multiple times and it just doesn't work.

So let's have a little fun to cheer me up ;)

Let's all put our bets on the table as to what Roger will be like. And explain why if you need to. Will he be a little guy like Louis or is he the guy Egon was chasing at the intersection? What do you think will happen if you are right?

Personally I think that Roger is either:
A) An Egon look alike that isn't nearly as intelligent (I even thought they might make him look more like RGB Egon for kicks.)
or B) He's a relative of Egon's. Hey, he does have a brother out there somewhere!

I think (or fantasize about) Egon punching the guy's lights out. I don't care if he is the Eagle scout millionaire that just won the Nobel Peace Prize, I still think he needs a fat lip and a new girlfriend.
(That's just my rant, sorry. :twisted: )

PostPosted: March 17th, 2012, 9:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
(I even thought they might make him look more like RGB Egon for kicks.)

Since you said it, yeah, that's the theory I had that's still seems possible. Consider:

Dan Schoening is an obvious fan of the cartoon, and massively enjoys putting in call-backs to it. Janine dating a guy who looks like RGB Egon would be a huge one.

The latest Janine is a meld of GB1 Janine and RGB Season 1 Janine visually (and who can blame them? Those are the best versions of the character). It would make a weird kind of sense to have her torn between the two matching versions of Egon.

Erik Burhham wrote:
I expect a piece of the internet to break off when he shows up.

I seem to recall him or Dan saying something similar about #5, which ended up featuring the IDW premiere of Kylie Griffin

Quote:
I think Roger's appearance will shake up the J+E fans.

There are more than one way to parse the word "appearance" you know...

Quote:
Egon and Roger could be the Betty & Veronica to Janine's Archie!

A redhead as hypotenuse in a triangle between a brunette and a blond? That would fit.

I could see it as being just about the only way Burnham could get anybody on Roger's side. "Well, even if she can't get Egon, she still gets Egon!"

But even as much as I love the RGB Egon (he is, after all, still the "real" Egon to me) I doubt even that would work. At the end of the day, no matter what he looks like, he's not "the" Egon in the series itself.

And some of it comes down to being a Janine fan: being connected to Egon makes her more important. Egon's one of the four title characters. Being his Significant Other means a lot more story and characterization possibilities for Janine than her dating the doofus accountant or some non-GBI newcomer, no matter who he looks like.

There's still plenty of room for me to be wrong, so don't put much credence in the idea. As much as I'd love to have guessed a plot twist beforehand*, I'd also like to be surprised (so Mr. Burnham, if you see this resist any temptation to tell me whether I'm right or wrong--I'll wait until next month like everyone else :lol:)

* --In my defense, though, back in 1991 I read X-Force and said "Wait a minute...Cable's first name is 'Nathan'? Like Nathan Christopher Charles Summers, the kid who was just sent to the future in X-Factor#68, supposedly never to return?"