It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:22 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Ghostbusters Memories
PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 4:08 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
What do you remember about watching RGB and/or EGB as a child? Was the anticipation of it the only thing that got you through a day at school? Did you watch an episode on a day of your life that was somehow significant? Tell us about it!

I have a bunch of memories about watching EGB, but then I would, wouldn't I - I was twelve when it started. Maybe I'll get into those if people get interested in this thread, but as we have more RGB fans here, let's start with that.

I don't know how old I was when RGB was on our TV much of the time, but I must have been young. It was when my brother always decided what we were going to watch, and before I started discovering things for myself like Alvin and the Chipmunks and Bucky O'Hare. I had to get into Bravestarr, He-Man, Thundercats and, to a lesser extent, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and RGB. Those last two we watched when there was nothing better to do. My brother was never that into them, which may have had something to do with why I always liked them more than the former three.

We always had a couple of episodes of RGB on VHS, so my memories of the characters were always fairly accurate, though I couldn't have told you about anything that happened in any episodes that weren't the ones we had on tape. I know, that's not interesting! False memories of a TV show can be a great topic of conversation. I wonder if anyone here has any?

I remember having no idea that RGB was based on a film. When GB2 came out (at least, I assume it had just come out; I would have been three/four at the time, which makes sense), my brother was collecting scenes from the movie printed on the back of cereal boxes, and in the cereal packets were stickers to complete the scenes. I remember him sticking Oscar on the picture of the museum, and probably a couple of other characters/objects as well. But all I knew at that time was RGB - I simply could not understand what any of it had to do with the Ghostbusters.

Well, that's all I have - unless I get onto EGB. Now, I'm sure some of you must have something more interesting to say. So please share! :D

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 13th, 2010, 1:53 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
the first thins I remember or stands out in my more first . The episode victor the friendly ghost had a lot of quits spots that I felt mad it creepy.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 1:57 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
My parents probably still have the tapes of RGB I made back in the day (the series were aired in '93 and '94), even though the VHS recorder that I used to make them was stolen in '99.

I was stupid enough to also record Casper and the other drivel they bundled with RGB. Thankfully now I have many, though not all, episodes in MPG/AVI format. Mostly those that were aired here with full translation - the actors that did the voiceovers are most excellent (unfortunately the best of them, the one who voiced Egon, has passed away in 2000). Still someone hand-picked all the old recordings and superimposed the audio track with the full professional voiceovers over german satellite rips. Brings back a lot of memories (even though translation is sometimes awkward).

PostPosted: May 13th, 2011, 2:30 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Zodiac: Pisces
My memories are not very clear about RGB because I was way too young to remember all of it.
I remember that RGB was one of my favourites when I was young. I was so in love with Egon but I don't think I did get much of the things that were actually happening in the series although I can remember that I was never scared of any episode even though I am very easily scared. ;)

I watched EGB far more actively and the memories are of course still very accurate. ;)

X
Jen

PostPosted: October 31st, 2011, 11:51 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
Oooooooh I love nostalgia so I have to post!

I'm tired so I'll keep this in point form:

My memories of RGB

*the shocking change in Peter's voice (which seemed much more prevalent at the time)

*not liking old skool Janine, loving new skool Janine as she was 'pretty, nice and feminine' (BTW, I feel the EXACT OPPOSITE NOW)

*Waiting for the dating/courting episodes that came after "Janine, You've Changed" that never came (still bitter)

*Rolling my eyes at the "Slimer" episodes

*Eventually losing interest as the show became 'dumbed down' and scrambling to find them on repeat on other stations (sometimes super early in the morning)

*Being pretty damn scared of Grundel, Boogeyman and "Do Not Open Until Doomsday" *shudder*

*going to see GB2 and being underwhelmed for various reasons

*hoping against hope the show would dismiss much of GB2 (thankfully it did)

*wishing I could work with 4 guys as cool as Peter, Winston, Egon and Ray -- loved the dynamic between the personalities!

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 2:52 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Aries
I think we all threw in a tape in the VCR on Saturday mornings. I always had to tape it because my mom would be cleaning house and I never wanted to be interrupted while watching it. Then I would sneak and get up in the middle of the night and watch it while everyone in my house was asleep. Now my 4 year old can set there and watch any type of Ghostbusters for hours at a time. And I have to make myself not sit there with her and watch it for that long. I'm 31 and I still love it just as much as I did back then.

:D

Sometimes in my job I feel just like Janine, over worked and under paid!

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 12:46 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
I used to tape RGB off of Fox Family as a kid and I'd watch EGB religiously (with a VCR set to autorecord in case I missed it. I can't remember much of RBB when it originally aired, but I must have watched it quite a bit because I had the Ecto-1 and a whole slew of ghosts and figures. I seem to have lost most of them, or they broke (one Egon suffered an... incident involving a hill, a skateboard, and an escape from a rampaging plastic elephant. It was the skateboard that got him. Poor Egon, bad things always happen to you).

I also wrote my very first fan fiction for Ghostbusters and dang it if Dora from GBFF wasn't nice enough to post it for me even though it was incredibly awful. I didn't know how to send files, so I re-wrote it all by hand in several emails. Because I was so tired of typing I reverted to using short hand script form. Oh Sparrow, what hast thou wrought upon this poor community.

I'm not going to say which fic it was, but if you will probably figure it out with enough digging. I re-read it from time to time with the WayBackMachine sometimes to remind me; a) how far I've come and b) to never get a big head because wow, that was awful.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2012, 3:23 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
APaleHorse wrote:
I used to tape RGB off of Fox Family as a kid and I'd watch EGB religiously (with a VCR set to autorecord in case I missed it.

I tried it once (the episode was A Fright at the Opera). It was a disaster because the recorder ran out of tape halfway through the episode (you could never guess...) - and never knew how it ended until I got the cartoons again a couple of years ago (which led me here, of course).

Quote:
I can't remember much of RBB when it originally aired, but I must have watched it quite a bit because I had the Ecto-1 and a whole slew of ghosts and figures. I seem to have lost most of them, or they broke (one Egon suffered an... incident involving a hill, a skateboard, and an escape from a rampaging plastic elephant. It was the skateboard that got him. Poor Egon, bad things always happen to you).

I had made the four ghostbusters figures out of plasticine some day, and made an ECT0-1 out of some of the numerous DIY sets I had. They were peacefully collecting dust until I unfortunately disposed of them (along with over a hundred self-made plasticine dinosaurs) during various cleanups when I grew up, thinking that I'd never be into this stuff again. Poor naive me. :D The DIY Ecto was probably disassembled back into parts which are probably still stashed somewhere. It's a damn pity that plasticine doesn't last all that long until breaking apart. If only I had been smart enough to build wireframes for it... Of course, another problem is that it becomes grimy with handling and natural dust absorption...

Ah, the "good old times..."

P.S. On the actual series... I don't even wanna remember all those preposterous ideas I had about them and what was going on. It would be retarded beyond belief to ever utter them in public. :(

PostPosted: April 11th, 2012, 10:27 am 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Zodiac: Capricorn
Watched GB when I was young and liked it a lot, but when I first spotted RGB I was instantly hooked. Even remember which scene it was. This is strange, as the only source was German satellite TV and I didn't speak German. Taped the eps and eventually learned German thru RGB. Fridays 14:05 and Saturday rerun 10:30 were holy. Some time later my natives dubbed it.

Taped all the German episodes and still like them very much, prefer them when watching an ep for the millionth time. German fandom is friendly and nice to participate in. Bought a recently published biography written by German Egon, actor/painter/musician/dubber. He wrote the four are still very good friends and occasionally went on vacation together. One can't miss out on hearing how they love dubbing RGB, great dynamic. I know it's not that interesting to ppl not being familiar with different versions.

Same little problem with EGB - only source was German TV. Taped it and eventually bought the original version. Even if I liked it, it's a bit overshadowed by RGB... never wrote EGB fanfic. A fun thing is that many found out about EGB being produced when I stumbled upon a very small picture and drew them, putting it on my site. A bit baffled how I threw in Janine, not knowing she would be in EGB, and drew her spot-on. Psychic.

Hm, finding stuff wasn't easy before eBay. Got a bit too excited about buying, so I have a massive collection. Tip-toe back into fandom now, also being more creative.

Man, have to lay off the habit of making long posts...

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
I only saw the episodes Citizen Ghost and Partners in Slime as special features for Ghostbusters II. Both were pretty good.