All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: October 4th, 2012, 9:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
This is pretty much all we know right now:

http://ghostbustersnews.com/?p=10555

Quote:
IDW Publishing is currently planning an upcoming crossover series featuring the Mars Attacks license. There will be five crossovers in all featuring franchises that are currently under IDW’s umbrella. The most exciting for us? Ghostbusters… ahem, the Real Ghostbusters!

That's pretty much all we know at this point. Nothing yet on creative teams, whether it will be a one-shot or mini-series, etc.

I'll keep you posted as we find out more.
:)

PostPosted: October 4th, 2012, 2:26 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
Erik Burnham: The Fanpage: "I can't comment on whether or not you're in the right dimension, but hey -- I swiped this from IDW Publishing's page FAIR AND SQUARE, so I assume it is for real! (;"

From: http://www.facebook.com/ErikBurnhamFanPage/posts/511842978845417

That suggests that Erik Burnham is not involved in it.

Read two more posts down. Erik you fooled me again. lol

Last edited by devilmanozzy on October 13th, 2012, 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2012, 2:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.stillplayingwithtoys.com/php ... 075#p25075

Confirmation that Tristan Jones isn't involved either:

Quote:
No, sorry guys. Not involved. Most you'll see me doing on Ghostbusters after #16 is a cover from time to time.. (I think... next year's gonna be kinda busy for me... at least how it looks right now)

PostPosted: October 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

All info from: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41605

Quote:
The month continues with "Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters" by Erik Burnham and Jose Holder

Quote:
Fans asking for more twits on the established IDW series will be interested to hear that the third "Mars Attacks" one-shot features "The Real Ghostbusters" – a nod to the Saturday morning cartoon. "Since we've used Ghostbusters in these last few 'Infestation' stories, we asked ourselves 'What can we do that's different?' We've had a lot of people asking for a story set in the world of the animated series and the NOW comic that was done a while back, but we've always had our stories roughly set in the movie universe. So now we're doing 'The Real Ghostbusters' so people can get the animated versions with the Martians mixed in as well.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2012, 9:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

:?:

And yet that cover looks more like Movie-Style Ghostbusters.

Maybe it's the variant or something.

Still, it'll be fun to see what Burnham does if he can actually embrace animated continuity instead of just making in-jokes.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 6:41 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

The Real Ghostbusters part is confirmed true.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42226

This is pretty cool. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first official Real Ghostbusters storyline of any sort since NOW comics Real Ghostbusters Annual 1993. That not counting Extreme Ghostbusters related spinoff to Real Ghostbusters.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2012, 9:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

devilmanozzy wrote:
The Real Ghostbusters part is confirmed true.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42226

This is pretty cool. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first official Real Ghostbusters storyline of any sort since NOW comics Real Ghostbusters Annual 1993. That not counting Extreme Ghostbusters related spinoff to Real Ghostbusters.

That'd match my recollections.

I had to deduct one cool point from the preview for Janine being in the GB2/1989 haircut, but that means they're all the way down to +999,999 for doing this book. :lol:

Just reading the preview gave me a tingle. I mean, as much as I've enjoyed most of the stuff since the "Revival" started in 2004, I just don't emotionally connect to four guys in identically colored flight suits who look like Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, and Hudson's third cousins the way I do to the characters I watched on TV for six years. I know I'm a vanishing minority, but these guys really are the "real" Ghostbusters to me in a way the actor caricatures never will be.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2013, 6:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters:

When I heard that IDW was going to do a "Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters" one shot, I was at first, ecstatically happy because as good as the ongoing series has been, I miss the likenesses I grew to consider, indeed, the "real" Ghostbusters over six years of TV watching (Seventy hours of blond Egon versus four of Harold Ramis Egon? No contest) But then again..

Topps Martians? Those butt ugly guys that like to kill people with disintegrator pistols?

Is there a reason this is gonna be a one-shot?

Gulp....

Then I remembered that Sony probably wouldn't okay the Ghostbusters being killed by aliens, and then found out that Erik Burnham, who writes the ongoing series, would be writing this story, so I was looking forward to it again. Just...how are you going to mix Ghostbusters with murderous Martians?

"Floating Fright At The Farm" opens, appropriately enough, with the famous 1938 radio broadcast of "War Of the Worlds". Which means, if this really was an episode of the cartoon, we would have been treated to Maurice LaMarche's famously energetic impression of Orson Welles.

Floating in space is a Martian attack ship, awaiting orders to attack Earth because that's what Martians do--invade Earth, disintegrate stuff, steal our women, mess with Santa Claus, that sort of thing. But like a lot of Puny Hew-Mons, the Martians hear the Welles broadcast and think it's real--"Oh, Shazbot, they started the invasion without us!!!" The Martians high-tail it to Earth only to find it not being conquered by fellow Martians. Thinking they've been tricked, they try to high-tail it out of there but get hit by a meteor, and the flying saucer full of butt ugly Martians crashes and becomes a flying saucer full of butt ugly dead Martians.

Flash forward to...well, I guess it's more or less the "present day", though 1986 or 1989 are also really solid dates if you want to get really picky about it. The Ghostbusters are fighting a giant nutcracker, and after an assortment of pratfalls and jokes about nuts and Sugar Plums and the Mouse King and a Ninja Turtles reference (hey, why not, IDW publishes them now too) the nutcracker is in a trap.

We head back to Ghostbusters Central where Ray and Slimer are playing with a toy remote control helicopter, and in classic fashion it causes Venkman to spill coffee all over himself and complain about it. Janine gets a phone call, and the Ghostbusters are off and running.

This is where the suspicion that the story takes place c. 1989 comes from. Slimer talks coherently. Venkman is annoyed but not murderous. Janine has the haircut and a blank, doped-out expression befitting both GB2 and the 1989 season of the cartoon. This has got to be from the post-JMS era. Ah well, at least Venkman gets in a New Jersey joke before they leave.

The ECTO-1 arrives at a farm in Elmo's Hill, New Jersey, which excites Ray--it was the location featured in...hm, what a co-incidence...the 1938 radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds". Okay, turns out it's not a coincidence--there's a probably about sixty year old man there who was ten when the Martians crash-landed there. Everything was fine until the cable company came to dig new lines--which is a change from the way it usually works, which is trouble being caused by digging a new subway. So basically, we got Martian ghosts.

The good news is that the Martian ghosts don't have their disintegrator pistols, or this story would have been over real quick. The bad news is that they're still antisocial, and aren't afraid to telekinetically throw cows at the guys. Fortunately, the Martians don't seem to be able to steer them pretty well.

Anyway, the Martians may be nasty aliens, but they're also ghosts, so soon enough all of them but one are trapped. The last one manages to reactivate their crashed spaceship, but after sixty or so years rotting underground it's not in the best of shape. Oh, hey, the self destruct still works...

One exploding flying saucer later, the Ghostbusters are back in New York with their company coffers a little heavier and Venkman just glad to be out of New Jersey. And no Martians, right, except Slimer sees something butt ugly at the window...

This story lacked a lot of the depth of the regular series run, and ironically enough Jose Holder's artwork gave us a more "realistic" look to the cartoon version of the characters as opposed to Dan Schoening's cartoony actor caricatures. Still, it was a fun story. I look forward to Mr. Burnham's own artwork on the RGB backup strips; but for all that's good in the world, if you keep doing all this cartoon stuff, give Dapper Dan a chance to draw some too.