It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:12 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 7:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
The New Ghostbusters

At this point in time, that's all we really know.

About the only thing I can find is this little nugget on the IDW board from Erik Burnham:

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopi ... 805#310805

Erik Burnham wrote:
We are talking about a backup that would start in February that folks may find interesting.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2012, 9:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 56#p422856

Kingpin's post with the spoiler tag has some very interesting artwork.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2012, 10:01 am 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 11#p423211

Erik Burnham wrote:
It's the first arc of a second volume, so a renumbering -- which will help bring a spotlight back on the book. (Big time GB fans never missed out on it, but other folk?)

:x

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 12#p423212

mrmichealt wrote:
I was told this second hand by someone else who was there at the live cast but here goes:

*Jack Hardemeyer will appear soon as a member of PCOC

*Ron will be a bigger jerk than Peck but with the tech savy of Egon

*Kylie will be a Ray/Egon type

*Pagan was originally not appearing but now will cameo in some panels

*One of the ghosts will be based on mythology

*One will be sort of based on a ghost from RGB

*Janine is part of the team because of Peck

*The Ghost Smashers disbanded after the events of #15[

*The current ongoing series is in Volume One. It will have 16 issues total. The New Ghostbusters is the title of the first arc of Volume Two of the ongoing series. It will be four parts then the title reverts back to just Ghostbusters with Issue #5.

All of it sounds interesting, except this part:

Quote:
It's the first arc of a second volume, so a renumbering

Quote:
*The current ongoing series is in Volume One. It will have 16 issues total. The New Ghostbusters is the title of the first arc of Volume Two of the ongoing series.

Yuck. Just...yuck. Personally, I'm sick to death of even successful books doing this stupid "Let's put out a new #1 to goose sales!" gimmick. I guess I'm too old school--I remember when those damn numbers meant something. When there's a new #1 every time somebody sneezes, it just doesn't mean much anymore. Remember when there was only one Fantastic Four #1? Now there's been three, and a fourth on the way. And I'm not even gonna start on DC or I'll blow a blood vessel. I know math literacy has declined in this country, but are today's kids really incapable of counting in double or triple digits?

I know all the reasons why. "#1 issues attract more interest blah blah blah Great jumping on point blah blah blah" but it doesn't mean I like them.

It sucks, if you ask me.
</old guy voice>

PostPosted: November 14th, 2012, 7:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 76#p423476

They're getting back onto my good side :lol:

mrmichaelt wrote:
.. "an all-new REAL GHOSTBUSTERS 2-page back-up story written and drawn by Burnham" Is it a typo? Is it canon to the ongoing?

Erik Burnham wrote:
It's not a typo. It's Slimer and blonde Egon and the whole nine.

First 8 pager is going to be a fun little romp following a ghost after it's put into the grid. I only have 8 pages, 2 per issue, firm. That puts in some limits.

(The biggest limit I have, though, is this: "Oh, I could do that story in 8 pages or I could just refit it for the main feature and have anywhere from 20-80 pages for it... that happened on 2 or 3 ideas before I hit on this based on a stray comment from someone else, and this idea could NOT be done anywhere but RGB.) lol.

Post subject: Volume 2
PostPosted: November 26th, 2012, 7:10 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

I'm a bit confused about the upcoming Ghostbusters comics. I know that it includes a new team, and that the first arc involves the previous team going missing.

Does this mean Stantz, Venkman, etc., aren't going to be the focus of the comic anymore? Or just that they're disappearing for a little while to give the new team a chance to shine before some kind of merging of the two?

Or maybe it'll lead to a split and we'll have two different Ghostbusters comics to read, kind of like how there are the two different but related Transformers ongoings (Robots in Disguise and More than Meets the Eye).

Anyone know? Is this a mystery, or am I just missing information that's generally available?

Gotta be honest, I'm loving this comic almost as much as IDW's TMNT (and, given that I'm the massive TMNT fan that I am, that probably means that the Ghostbusters comic is actually better) but I don't know if I'd stick around for a full ongoing without Venkman, Zeddemore, Egon, or Stantz.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2012, 9:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome to the Ectozone

:)

(I merged this into the already-existing topic on Vol.2 No.1)

Quote:
Does this mean Stantz, Venkman, etc., aren't going to be the focus of the comic anymore? Or just that they're disappearing for a little while to give the new team a chance to shine before some kind of merging of the two?

That's my impression at this point.

Quote:
Or maybe it'll lead to a split and we'll have two different Ghostbusters comics to read, kind of like how there are the two different but related Transformers ongoings (Robots in Disguise and More than Meets the Eye).

As Mr. Burnham indicates in quotes posted earlier in this thread, as far as we know right now the plan is to just have the one book. The "New Ghostbusters" is the first storyline, but it seems all but inevitable things will more or less go back to "normal" (always a fairly relative term in the case of the Ghostbusters :lol: ) after that.

Quote:
Gotta be honest, I'm loving this comic almost as much as IDW's TMNT (and, given that I'm the massive TMNT fan that I am, that probably means that the Ghostbusters comic is actually better) but I don't know if I'd stick around for a full ongoing without Venkman, Zeddemore, Egon, or Stantz.

I'm a fan of EGB, and Janine is one of my two favorite characters in this whole franchise, but yeah, there's already four very very good Ghostbusters out there.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2012, 11:33 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
I disapprove of the shorts. Really, what is the appeal there? Now next time you need to crawl through a sewer you have a much better chance of getting cut open and having some really awesome infected wounds. But hey, legs are sexy?

I DO appreciate that they aren't booty shorts because al;jfkhajhfjhajkdwhoevendoesthatajhkjdhjhad

I also appreciate that not all of the women have giant knockers. As a giant knockered woman myself, they just get in the way and are generally useless or inconvenient to my every day life. Their only appeal is getting people to stare at you occasionally, which is not nearly as cool as it sounds. Heck, archery is a challenge. So yeah, kudos for being normal sized!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 10:13 am 
Administrator
Administrator

APaleHorse wrote:
I disapprove of the shorts. Really, what is the appeal there? Now next time you need to crawl through a sewer you have a much better chance of getting cut open and having some really awesome infected wounds. But hey, legs are sexy?

Fortunately, from Mr. Burnham's comments on GBFans and IDW, they apparently won't really be wearing those much except for some specific circumstance that's apparently Ron's fault. Considering how he made the Ghostsmasher women dress, I guess that makes some sense more or less.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 1:40 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Eeeexcellent. It's good to be able to read a comic with heroines that aren't always about the TnA.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 4:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Concrete reassurance from Mr. Burnham that the shorts aren't permanent, in the form of the cover of Vol.2 #3:

http://burnhamania.com/blog/archives/1077

I was amused to see that the file name was GB19_cover_colors-675x1024.jpg, because if the series wasn't being renumbered Vol.2 #3 would be #19

I also wonder if they listened just a little to my complaining, because her undershirt looks very much like the same blue as the one she wore in RGB#22 or of course Egon's RGB flight suit.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2012, 12:13 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
Fritz wrote:
I also wonder if they listened just a little to my complaining, because her undershirt looks very much like the same blue as the one she wore in RGB#22 or of course Egon's RGB flight suit.

I think the fact that she's wearing Egon's suit speaks volumes onto itself. ;)

PostPosted: December 20th, 2012, 9:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

kaotic86 wrote:
I think the fact that she's wearing Egon's suit speaks volumes onto itself. ;)

Yeah. I hadn't even noticed that yet when I wrote my last post. I just assumed it had her name on it then later I looked again and "Holy cow" :lol:

PostPosted: January 5th, 2013, 2:34 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Totally awesome. <3 I apologize if I seemed a little vitriolic on the shorts thing; I've worked a job that involve a lot of crawling around in caves, squelching through swampy water, and so forth and shorts were actually forbidden for very good reasons. When my charges wore shorts it was always a major GROAN time because we had to either alter our plans so they didn't get all cut up or get poison ivy, tell them they could not participate, or just let them learn by experiencing it.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 8:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #17

So, after last month's Martian invasion, we get back to normal with the Ghostbusters. Normal being, to paraphrase one of Peter Venkman's best lines ever, a fairly relative term in their case, of course.

Aw, look. Melanie Ortiz, who appeared in "Haunted America" is in New York. Apparently, she decided she wanted the Doctor V after all. And since she's a breathing human being with two X chromosomes, Venkman's not going to dissuade her, right? And like I said when she was first introduced, she's a little bit of a Dana Scully in-joke and we all know how Venkman is around tall women named Dana.

So they're walking around on a date, and then Venkman gets kidnapped by Peoplebuster Venkman.

In short order, glittery off-camera entities snag Egon, Ray, and Winston. All of a sudden, New York has a massive shortage of professional paranormal investigators and eliminators.

Did I say things were getting back to "normal"? Hah hah. I lied.

We shift to three months later, and three people in flight suits with the names "Spengler", "Venkman", and "Stantz" are on a bust. They do catch the ghost, Jail Jaw, but not before "Venkman" gets slimed.

But it's not Egon Spengler, Peter Venkman, and Ray Stantz--it's Janine Melnitz, Melanie Ortiz, and Kylie Griffin, respectively.

On the one hand, it's kind of disappointing to have completely skipped the immediate aftermath of the Ghostbusters being abducted. I mean, good grief, Janine has an argument with Egon, the implications of which hadn't sunk into her yet (at least not on camera) and then he disappears? How bad did she freak out about that? On the other hand...she IS the one wearing the "Spengler" flight suit...

Our old friend Wally Wick, the Ghostbusters' resident Asshole Boss figure, isn't happy about the whole thing, but he's working an angle: accept new agreements with the city, and Janine, Kylie, and Ortiz can be the official New Ghostbusters. The Ghostsmashers were a bit hit with the general public because they were 3/4 leggy women kicking ghost butt, and Peck sees an opportunity to replicate that success. He doesn't like them, granted, but Janine is knowledgeable about the Ghostbusters operation--and has access to the Containment Unit and other GBI systems; Kylie is knowledgeable about the paranormal; and Ortiz is a Federal Agent, after all. All three also just happen to be leggy women, to boot. There's just one catch: they need someone to maintain the equipment. With the two top experts currently vacationing in another dimension, ironically enough, the only one left who knows the tech...

...Disgraced Ghostsmasher founder and leader Ron "Jake Kong, and You're Not" Alexander.

Now, as everyone who's read much of my postings and fan stories knows, I'm a big Janine fan, and one of the appeals of this story arc is her new status as the experienced veteran. And yeah, even though the cover has her in Venkman's colors, I much prefer the implications of her choosing Egon's flight suit in this issue.

Kylie is another great character, generally regarded as the best of Extreme Ghostbusters' additions to the franchise, and it's good to see her coming "full circle" just a little bit. Why, she even had an EGB PKE Meter on the cover, and everything. She's been brought into the property in this version through a connection with Ray, so it makes sense that if she has to wear any of the original Ghostbusters' colors, it'd be his--though having her wearing Ray's darker GB2 suit in the book itself fits even better (I can't help it--I went in the direction of her in a dark flight suit myself.

Melanie Ortiz is still kind of a blank slate, this only being her second appearance, so we'll see where it goes. She wears Venkman's flight suit presumably because, again, he's the original Ghostbuster she's most strongly connected to, though the cover illustration has her in Winston's colors. Since her training as an FBI agent makes her undoubtedly the best one of the New Ghostbusters in a fight, it does parallel her with the former Marine Winston is.

And Ron? Well, that jerk's gonna have a long way to go to make up for all the trouble he caused. I guess he got Egon's colors by process of elimination, and being the resident techie by default, though he's really more like Venkman with even less scruples.

See everyone in a month (gah...more like two weeks, I'm so late on this one...)

PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 10:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I can't believe I forgot to mention...

We start our new cartoon-flavored backup strip this issue. It starts with Venkman and Ray dropping off a ghost in the Containment Unit, and Venkman makes a hilarious joke about Egon's long-windedness. Inside the ECU, the new occupant meets one of the heavyweights: Samhain, the spirit of Halloween, and we don't mean the stage magician either.

Boy, if this was coming out closer to October, I'd be really really worried about that fact...