It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:24 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: September 14th, 2013, 7:30 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
I don't know if anyone's brought this up before, but here goes. Discuss ghost movies you like, other than Ghostbusters of course. Okay, I'll start us off.
Poltergeist (1982)

Last edited by Peter Venkman on October 28th, 2013, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 8:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I realize I don't really watch a lot of "ghost movies"...or lots of movies total, really.

I mean, sure, there are ghosts in Star Wars Episodes 4-6, but you can't really call those "ghost movies"

I saw the remake of Thirteen Ghosts in 2001; my fond memories of that are more because of the fact it was my first date with a woman I was nuts about who dumped me later but I still have fond memories of that date.

I dunno...I wonder of the Bleach or Death Note movies would count. Probably not.

:oops:

PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 9:03 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I, too, had a hard time thinking of other ghost movies I like. I've been able to come up with The Others - rather different in tone from GB, but a ghost movie nonetheless - and that's about all that I think could really count. A very long time ago I was unnerved by a movie called The Woman in White, but now I can't remember it very well.

I used to enjoy Casper, but I've gone off it a bit now that I'm older. It's okay, but for me, it doesn't age well. I also used to like Beetlejuice, but when I watched it sometime in the last couple of years, I thought it was absolutely awful!

A Christmas Carol is a favourite story of mine, and I enjoy most movie adaptations. I guess that's kind of a ghost story, but not in the most traditional sense, once you get past Jacob Marley very early on.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 2:45 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Am I the only one who's seen Poltergeist, or the only one that likes it?

PostPosted: October 29th, 2013, 10:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Lol...good point. It's just been so long since I've seen it I forgot about it.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2013, 5:37 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

EGBFan wrote:
I, too, had a hard time thinking of other ghost movies I like. I've been able to come up with The Others - rather different in tone from GB, but a ghost movie nonetheless - and that's about all that I think could really count. A very long time ago I was unnerved by a movie called The Woman in White, but now I can't remember it very well.

I used to enjoy Casper, but I've gone off it a bit now that I'm older. It's okay, but for me, it doesn't age well. I also used to like Beetlejuice, but when I watched it sometime in the last couple of years, I thought it was absolutely awful!

A Christmas Carol is a favourite story of mine, and I enjoy most movie adaptations. I guess that's kind of a ghost story, but not in the most traditional sense, once you get past Jacob Marley very early on.

Yeah. Scrooged was my favorite adaptation.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 6:10 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
The Uninvited (1944 film)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Uninvited_(1944_film)

This is perhaps the first film to take the haunted/ghosts aspect not comically but seriously. It is actually pretty good for the era, and the ending is actually quite enjoyable. One thing through, the comedy aspect of the film shouldn't be the draw, just so everyone knows now. I barely laughed the whole movie.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 6:38 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Late, as per usual but here I go:

-Poltergeist. The original one 'cause the remake made me want to scream but not for the right reasons.

-A couple of Mexican ones by Carlos Enrique Taboada. Let me tell you, if you ever get the chance to check them out, they're real jewels! Hasta el Viento tiene miedo (Even the Wind is afraid) is the best one. It talks about a school haunted by the mournful spirit of a girl who took her own life there, which sounds pretty standard at first, but the characters surrounding this ghost make it interesting. There was a remake in 2007 but it's trash, the good one is the original 1968 one. Honorable mention for 'Mas Negro que la Noche' (Blacker than night) which feats the ghost of a former cat lady haunting her niece's friend group.

-The 80s version of 'Lady in Black'. Let me tell you. I'd been to the play version (Which in my country has been running for over 23 years. Uninterrupted. That alone is severely cool) and had seen the newer version, which honestly was kinda lame when compared to the play, so I was expecting the 80s version to be underwhelming as well. BOY, WAS I WRONG. Let's just said watching it at night is not on my top five best ideas in the world. My older sister had to sleep in my bed with me, she got that scared.

-The Conjuring 1 & 2. The theme leans a bit more towards the demonic, but ghosts are still a thing and they're made in a way that they don't feel like an afterthought, they're pretty memorable and just as scary.

-On a bizarre twist...The Halloween Tree. I don't know, I used to watch it as a kid on TV come every Día de Muertos and it stuck to me so much that I never really forgot it and was able to look for it when internet made it easy to watch retro stuff online. Feats a lot of other stuff as well, but a ghost is kind of the centerpiece of the story, so I'm guessing it counts.

-Paranorman. That film is a treasure and the way it handles ghosts is, I think, very interesting and riveting.

There's probably more but this is already long as heck.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 2:24 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Fritz wrote:
I realize I don't really watch a lot of "ghost movies"...or lots of movies total, really.

I mean, sure, there are alternatives to phentermine over the counter mentioned here by ghosts in Star Wars Episodes 4-6, but you can't really call those "ghost movies"

I saw the remake of Thirteen Ghosts in 2001; my fond memories of that are more because of the fact it was my first date with a woman I was nuts about who dumped me later but I still have fond memories of that date.

I dunno...I wonder of the Bleach or Death Note movies would count. Probably not.

:oops:

I too don't know that my movie would count or not but I loved "Ghost" movie that I watched many many years back. It wasn't a horror movie, by the way.

Last edited by ChristopherSimoneaux on February 6th, 2021, 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 8:01 am 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

I really like the Conjuring movies too, that includes Annabelle and The Nun too. I've actually seen The Nun the other day and I really liked it. It's scary as hell though. lol

PostPosted: November 27th, 2019, 2:34 am 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

garyjones wrote:
Peter Venkman wrote:
I don't know if anyone's brought this up before, but here goes Max Performer. Discuss ghost movies you like, other than Ghostbusters of course. Okay, I'll start us off.
Poltergeist (1982)

i m agreed with you.. i love this movie not so scary but i love in my childhood.

Yes it's scay