It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:18 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2016, 2:38 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
add this to the other post if you need to.

This makes me both happy and angry.

Happy B/c the film looks like it might be good.

angry B/c with seeing all the ghosts running around it makes me feel more like RGB more then anything els. its the tipe of seen I would have loved to see back when I was a kid ,with the originally guys.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

Last edited by Fritz on March 3rd, 2016, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed Youtube code

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2016, 5:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Quote:
add this to the other post if you need to.

Nah, it's fine here. I did clean up the thread title and the Youtube codes, though.

I gotta admit, I got a silly grin on my face watching this. Like you said, Jason, it is now entirely possible that this might actually be good.

Sony also has a new web site up with some pictures and schematics of the new equipment:

http://www.paranormalstudieslab.com/

We're introduced to something called the Higgins Institute. We'll just have to see how that plays into things.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2016, 2:23 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

the thing i don't get is, is this a reboot ?

if so then why have slimer and the fier house in there ?

PostPosted: March 4th, 2016, 6:55 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I'm afraid my first viewing of this was rather negative. The comedy looks to be overstated and deeply unfunny. The short, haunting rendition of the iconic melody reminded of the Jurassic World trailer, the difference being that it didn't work this time, because we don't remember that tinkly piano from decades ago.

When I watched it a second time after a night's sleep, I thought maybe the plot would be at least okay, and maybe the characters would be at least okay - maybe even good. I always try to reserve judgement on a film until I see it anyhow. But, to end on a positive, at least they're leaving everyone in no doubt this time that the car is a hearse! Hooray! :P

jason knetge wrote:
the thing i don't get is, is this a reboot ?

if so then why have slimer and the fier house in there ?

Sorry about all the Jurassic World comparisons, but I'm thinking they're maybe doing the same sort of thing here. Those things Jason mentions, plus all that '30 years ago' and 'a new team' stuff, seem to imply it's a sort of distanced sequel. Jurassic World made plenty of mention of the original, but also introduced so many new characters and concepts, you could pretty much call it a reboot. After all this time, neither movie wants to get so bogged down in the original stuff that they alienate their brand new audience, a huge proportion of which will be kids; at the same time, they want to keep us old fogeys onside too. So, based on the trailer, I'm plumping for what I have decided to call a same-universe reboot. We shall see...

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 4th, 2016, 11:55 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I have no illusions--it could still blow. There have been great trailers for awful movies before.

I don't read too much into them mentioning "Four scientists thirty years ago"; it could just be for the audience, not an in-universe thing. There's been some complaining about "four scientists" on GBFans, since Winston wasn't a scientist; I figure what they said is snappier than "Three scientists and some guy they hired", and a sure sight better than many times over the years in Columbia/Sony marketing where they would have said "Three scientists" and left it at that.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2016, 3:12 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Aquarius
I liked the remix of the theme, that was cool. I'm still apprehensive about the 'reboot'-ness of it all. So if I do go to watch this movie, it'll be out of pure curiosity.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2016, 7:46 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Ok. I've been thinking about what to say about the trailer since it dropped. I've processed it, and read some of my same thoughts on other sites. Here's a youtube video that comes pretty close to what I feel. (warning for language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Tb635UB2s

Basically what he says that I agree with most is that a movie like this can't be good when it fail to respect the source material. He's right and I don't see this movie respecting anything much.

I won't see it. You can't make me. I don't like Wiig and Feig to begin with. :P

PostPosted: March 16th, 2016, 4:29 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Having seen the trailer, I've decided I'm still gonna see it in the cinema. I wouldn't say it was the best trailer I've ever seen, but it does look fun. 

I love seeing the equipment in action, and I think the character of Holtzmann is going to be the real standout. Not too keen on the CGI (a little too shiny and bright for my liking, although it'll probably look badass in the theatre), but I think Slimer looked better here than in GB2. All in all, there's a lot of potential for a good, fun ghostbusters movie. The various pieces of equipment they are using are just mindblowingly amazing. I wonder if IDW will get the chance to play with them at some point in the future?

A few things about this movie and the trailer intrigue me...  
They seem to be keeping Kevin's surname a secret, even on the cast/character bios. We still don't know the context of the original cast cameos. There are references to V. Clortho and D. Barrett in the trailer, as well as a time travel/dimensional time jump sequence. There are scenes set in the Firehouse, and we see Slimer again. 

I think the Firehouse is the most surprising thing to me. We were led to believe that their HQ would be a Chinese Restaurant, but going back to the iconic Firehouse seems more than just a passing nod to the original. 

The comedy in the trailer is subjective. In my opinion, Ghostbusters 2 wasn't terribly funny, and some of it was truly cringeworthy (the Melnitz/Tully scenes in particular). I didn't think much of the obvious exorcist gag, but the rest of it I found quite funny.  I've got no problem with the tone of the humour at all. After all, there were sex jokes in both the first and second movies, and gross-out humour in the first (somebody blows their nose and you wanna keep it?), so ghostbusters humour has never really been that highbrow. :D

As for the social media reaction... Whatever. It's not a surprise. It was there from the beginning when the cast was first announced, and it's not going to go away any time soon. Either people don't like the fact that this is a movie with female leads, or they don't like the fact that it's a reboot and not a passing the torch sequel. The trailer was never going to magically resolve either of those issues. Some people are just not gonna like it no matter what. If it bombs, it bombs. No big deal. Hopefully we'll still get the IDW ongoing series to keep us going... 

The OTT reaction to the trailer is pretty hilarious, though. It's just a movie. Some people need to just relax a little. It's not as if some outrageous crime has been committed just because it's a slightly crappy ghostbusters trailer. :lol: :mrgreen:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2016, 2:46 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Ok this one seems to be a little bit better.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2016, 3:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Ok this one seems to be a little bit better.

That does seem to be a common opinion, at least on GBFans.

And this one says "four friends" so that's one less thing to nitpick. There's still been some nitpicks about "thirty years ago", because apparently the concept of rounding numbers off escapes some people.

There was an interesting note with Kevin coming up with logo designs; I think it was in a script draft or maybe even one of the novelizations that suggested Janine came up with the logo in the GB1 universe (I pretty much made that canon in the GBOT/Ectozone continuity)

I dunno...there's still a lot of negativity on GBFans--in addition to the guy always screaming "misandry" there's now someone accusing the staff of being paid shills for Sony (all I know is I'M not seeing any bribe money)--but I haven't seen anything in either trailer that made me go "I completely hate this and this movie is gonna blow".

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 9:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

New trailer:

Seems to be getting a better reaction than the first trailer, thus far. There's some worries that it's crossed into the dreaded "they just gave everything away in the trailers" territory, though.