It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:22 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
 Post subject: Re: Egon And Janine
PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 6:50 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
HauntedWallflower wrote:
Seriously, Fritz, she should have been a guest at the Spengler-Melnitz wedding in Ghostbusters: Forever.

You are so totally right about that. I could just go add her in really easily--I've done changes before.

Quote:
Maybe you could take your phone (if it has a camera) or at least a camera with no flash and secretly take pictures of the pages you read instead of buying the magazine (I've done it before). Unless you'd rather buy the mag, of course ;)

I had a really light week at the comic shop--it's become quite possible I will go in and get it, maybe as soon as tomorrow.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 11:30 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Aquarius
Fritz wrote:
You are so totally right about that. I could just go add her in really easily--I've done changes before.

Yeah!

PostPosted: September 14th, 2016, 4:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, so I went and bought this thing. It's The Complete SFX Guide To Ghostbusters by Future Publishing, a UK company. There's lots of neat stuff in here, a lot to digest, including what look to be complimentary articles on RGB and EGB. Anyway, some of the relevant stuff:

(Italicized is the interviewer; normal is Ms. Potts)
Quote:
Janine has a wonderful chemisty with Egon...

That was all in the script. I think the chemistry really has a lot to do with casting. They were all really fun, delightful people. Harold was a lovely, gentle spirit, bemused and deeply funny. Everything about him was so sexy.

How did you view Egon and Janine's relationship?

It seemed there was a budding romance there. I was surprised in the second one that they didn't develop that relationship further, but comedically I think they though that Rick Moranis and I...they wanted to mine that. I had a crush on Harold, and I think I'd have liked to continue that relationship. But of course Rick was wonderful and wonderfully funny, so it was a win-win for me. I thought Janine and Egon had a nice chemistry, but I'm sure as they were developing the script they were thinking there was just more comedy there to mine

PostPosted: September 15th, 2016, 6:03 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Fritz wrote:
Annie Potts wrote:
It seemed there was a budding romance there. I was surprised in the second one that they didn't develop that relationship further, but comedically I think they though that Rick Moranis and I...they wanted to mine that...I thought Janine and Egon had a nice chemistry, but I'm sure as they were developing the script they were thinking there was just more comedy there to mine

*sigh* Looks like Annie and I suspected the same thing: In the name of "comedy," the wrong priorities were put forward.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2016, 3:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

HauntedWallflower wrote:

*sigh* Looks like Annie and I suspected the same thing: In the name of "comedy," the wrong priorities were put forward.

But the change was so popular and warmly embraced by the fandom!</sarcasm>

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 12:51 am 
Moononite
Moononite

It's funny that for so long many of us were so worried about Harold's thoughts on the ship that we never thought of how Annie felt until much recently.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 8:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=5739#p5739

You might want to take a look at that post.

:)

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2016, 7:28 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
I remember being completely confused after watching GB 2. I was too young to see it at the movie theatre so I had to wait. I watched it with my Mom and Dad on TV and I didn't get it - neither did my Mom (my Dad did not really care - men! ;) )
Peter and Dana weren't a couple anymore either but that was addressed, while the Egon/Janine -relationship was ignored. I didn't like the movie very much (not only because of what they did to Janine) so I didn't watch it very often. But I can't remember any interaction between Egon and Janine. And I am pretty sure it was not discussed what had happened between them. They were pretty close during and at the end of GB I and nothing was left?
Okay, Ramis did not like the romance but this is an "out-of-movie"-explanation - I think viewers deserve an explanation in the movie as well if decisions like that are made.

I think it is kind of funny that most of the fans disagree with Ramis on that issue - - as much he is adored by the fans.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2016, 9:37 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Well I don't think Annie is as big of a fan as we are, she didn't even remember enough about GBII to explain whether they got together or not in a different interview. She thought Egon was babysitting Oscar with her. Which actually reminded me or an old GBII rewrite I had thought about doing.

Anyway, has anyone ever discussed RGB Egon having narcolepsy before? I was reading about it and it seems to fit him to a T, the none cateleptic form anyway.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 5:22 am 
Moononite
Moononite

ghostdiva wrote:
Well I don't think Annie is as big of a fan as we are, she didn't even remember enough about GBII to explain whether they got together or not in a different interview. She thought Egon was babysitting Oscar with her. Which actually reminded me of an old GBII rewrite I had thought about doing.

I think you're referring to a Daily Mail article about the Vanity Fair interview Annie did in 2014. The article writer was the one who thought Egon was babysitting Oscar instead of Louis. As for GBII itself, I think it was a forgettable movie to her overall. In the same way I never thought twice about it when I was younger (Though it was the first GB movie I ever watched).

PostPosted: January 21st, 2017, 10:08 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Well, I suppose that if "Robo Buster" had played out differently, Janine would have been a First Lady this morning, lol.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2017, 10:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
Well, I suppose that if "Robo Buster" had played out differently, Janine would have been a First Lady this morning, lol.

Nah. She would have been traded in for a younger model by now. :twisted:

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 4:17 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Fritz wrote:
ghostdiva wrote:

Nah. She would have been traded in for a younger model by now. :twisted:

Not even. She would've been coerced into a boob job like alternate-2015-Lorraine from Back to the Future 2. :twisted:

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 12:34 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

So, what can we say about Egon and Janine in the IDW universe? 

After re-reading Volume 2, specifically issue #6, I think there are a few moments where it looked as if there was going to be some real progress in their relationship. There were a few things I missed which seemed inconsequential at first but might have been more important to the narrative between them both. 

Firstly, there's this conversation between Egon and Janine's ghostly ancestor, where I think Egon almost accidentally blurts out how he feels about her:

<Janine Melnitz is beyond your help. She has profaned an ancient rite, and her spirit is forfeit>
<But that can't be, I -> <Ahem. Tell me how I can help her, or else.>

Putting the line in context; Egon had just attempted to use the gris-gris on Janine which didn't work, and he is with Roger, who can also translate the Swedish he is speaking to Janine's Viking ancestor. 

He literally stopped speaking mid-sentence, so he was about to say something that he couldn't say either around Roger, or the ghostly ancestor of Janine's. If it were about the gris-gris he'd just tried to use, then there is no reason for him to stop himself saying whatever he was going to say, because Janine's ancestor already knew he'd tried to use it as magic on Janine, and Roger had witnessed him use it, so it can't have been that. 

The only other thing I can think that he would have started to say would have been admitting how he feels about her, and he stopped himself because he suddenly remembered that Roger could understand Swedish. 

Also, I find it interesting that he says 'ahem' afterward. The only other time he says 'ahem', in the entire run of the comics is after they've all come back from their travels in Janine's mind and he, Janine and Roger are standing around awkwardly afterwards. He excuses himself to leave Roger and Janine on their own. So the only other time he says 'ahem', is when he is uncomfortable and when it has to do with Janine. I don't think it's a coincidence that he says it here after almost admitting how he feels about her.  

He's also dismissing Roger's assistance by saying 'tell me how I can help her', rather than 'tell me how we can help her'. It's implying that he is the only one who can help her, even though Roger is obviously willing to help out.

Also in the same issue, there was this line from Egon:

<This is very much our concern, we have a vested interest in this woman's well-being. Why have you taken her?>

At first, this seemed like a normal plea from a guy who wants his secretary back, but the language Egon uses here is very interesting. He is speaking as if both he and Roger have exactly the same priority in Janine's well-being. It is our concern. We have a vested interest in her well-being. He is speaking as if they are both of equal importance in her life, though Egon is only her friend and colleague and Roger is her actual boyfriend. Also, a 'vested interest' means someone with a personal and private interest in something. Of course Roger would have a personal and private interest in Janine's well-being as he is her boyfriend, but why would Egon? A personal and private interest goes beyond what would normally be considered a relationship between work colleagues. 

It's also interesting that when they finally rescue Janine, the only person Janine calls out to is Egon. Roger's appearance should have been a surprise to Janine. She wouldn't have expected to see him there because he's not normally involved in ghostbusting. Plus, he is her boyfriend. It would have been entirely normal for her to have called out Roger's name, both because he was the person she was supposed to be in love with, and also because she would have been surprised that he was there. But instead, she called out to Egon. 

Plus there's the more obvious stuff, like Egon admitting he was aware of her feelings towards him from the very beginning.

I've also noticed when re-reading the comics that there is a lot of repeated mentions of 'talking', or more specifically, 'not talking', either by or in reference to Egon or Janine. It's interesting that now they are barely talking to each other at all. Could just be a coincidence, but I thought it was funny how those comments seem to relate to their current circumstances.

I'm not sure what the future holds for these two considering the restrictions placed by Sony and various comments from Erik Burnham which suggests that their story is over, but it seems as if at some point IDW were giving some hints that things were going to be a bit different. 

Maybe things just didn't work out, maybe situations changed and what might have been allowed at first was then stopped. I have no idea, but it is interesting to see what might have been clever little hints dropped in the earlier volumes about what could have happened between them both.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

Last edited by nikki on November 25th, 2018, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 1:46 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
I am glad you brought this up.
When I read the issue I had the exact same thoughts as you. Okay, not the EXACT same thoughts since I had them in German, but you know what I mean. ;) I would agree with you on all the things you mentioned, I just would like to add one thing: When Roger asked how Egon could have not noticed Janine’s interest, Egon answered „I did notice but I was busy saving the world“ and not „I was not interested“ or „she is not my type“.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the future holds for these two considering the restrictions placed by Sony and various comments from Erik Burnham which suggests that their story is over, but it seems as if at some point IDW were giving some hints that things were going to be a bit different.

I wondered about this, too. They seemed to be going somewhere with all the hints. These issue specifically. But also Egon saying he might be jealous because Janine is with Roger. Or the old Voodoo Lady (am I the only one who had Monkey Island Flashbacks because of her?!) who told him there was love for him, too. Who could she be talking about? I know that not everybody is a Janine/Egon-Shipper but someone else for Egon? Come on!
(If they ever introduce a new love interest for Egon, I will GTFO. Even though I am sure that all the Mary Sues in fanfiction would have a lot of great ideas what she would be like.)

I really hope they will pick up the plot again soon. Reason tells me I should give up but my inner teenager is convinced that they are just waiting a while because they are planning something big. Yeah, I know, I am beyond help…

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next