It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:59 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: EGB Fansite
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 9:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
What interesting revelations people can find on this timeline and nowhere else - our maiden name for Beth, for instance. It was quite a round-about way that we came up with that one. :D

Yeah. Some of that stuff may start to pop up on some other timelines sometime soon. 8-)

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 5:01 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
Our Timeline has been spruced up with some appropriate EGB screenshots, and now contains reference points for all the featured characters. In a sense, this means it is now complete, although more events from the Collinsverse will be added to it over the next couple of years.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on May 24th, 2018, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 10:38 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
As mentioned in this thread about the GBOT, where it is semi-relevant, I've recently done a very little rejigging of my EGB episode chronology in light of a certain revelation on Fritz's timeline (it's to do with American sports; if it isn't tennis, I am absolutely ignorant). This new post is really to say that I have since done a little rephrasing in January (so you'd barely have to scroll down) over the last couple of days to clarify and add a couple of thoughts, if anyone cares.

It's still fair to call the site 'a work in progress' because our timeline is ongoing (we have planned fanfic releases for some time). I will not be spamming the board by announcing every little addition to the timeline, so if you're at all interested in it, please be aware that you might like to check back from time to time and see what you can find. :D

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 7:19 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I've just been up half the night creating a page called Kylie's Apartment, and adding a stupid thing that's been in my mind for a while now to the Shippers' Page (just after the introductory paragraph). I'll probably regret that in the morning...

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 7:32 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I was recently gripped with urge to create a new page: Writers (I wonder if Jake will be surprised to learn that I was up for half of last night researching and composing it). My one-line description on the very aptly named Fun Stuff page says:

Quote:
Musings and analysis on some of the EGB writers and their episodes, including a little cross-referencing with RGB, and my five-star list.

Further information in the page's introductory paragraphs is as follows:

Quote:
Although I'll be thrilled if anyone besides Jake bothers reading this, I must admit, it's a resource created with my own personal use in mind. When watching EGB, I find it interesting to compare episodes with common writers, though these are strangely rare; six writers have two episodes to their name, and one has three, which means the remaining twenty-five episodes were written by one-offs. Because there are so many, I always forget who's written what even before I've finished my watch-through, and now I've got to a stage where I want to have easy access to this information.

Listed below are the writers with more than one EGB episode to their name and/or one or more episodes of RGB, as this too is information I would like to have at my fingertips. For each writer I hash out my opinions on his (every one of them happens to be a man) EGB-writing strengths, weaknesses and inconsistencies (if any) and, where relevant, I consider the influence an RGB-related background seems to have had. What some people (RGB fans, really) may consider to be lacking is information on the quality of these guys' RGB episodes; this is simply because I am not in a position to judge.

And finally, adding to that here on the forum: I'm sure a very large number of the words will be of interest to nobody except myself, but there may be those of you who are interested to see what I say about RGB. The short answer to that is, not a huge amount, and what I do say may come across about as negative as some of the less hate-filled opinions on EGB that I've read over the years. Of course, I have no disrespect for other people's opinions, and actually I'd be quite interested to know what they are.

Oh, and I'd also like to know if anyone spots that I've made a mistake, because I easily could have. :roll:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 2:39 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

After a brief debate with myself, I've decided to announce my new finding, because I thought it would amuse one or two of you - so I hope it does!

Since re-watching the series again recently I've rephrased a few things on, and added a few more quotes to the Shippers' Page, including this little bit to the section on 'Till Death Do Us Start':

Quote:
...during Jason Marsden and Rino's general, clearly improvised pillow-fight-sounds-and-banter, I could swear I heard Eduardo say, 'Take that, you mother-f–...!'

If you want to see whether you agree with me, it's at around 8.51-2 on this Youtube video (quick, before it's removed for copyright reasons :o !).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 20th, 2018, 9:03 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Two very exciting new pages have been created for the website:

Jake Also Likes, in which Jake tells us about his favourite kids' shows and how they compare/relate to EGB, including some fascinating information about a Rivera ancestor who once featured in another cartoon (and has been mentioned in the Collinsverse, with more to come, and recently added to our timeline as well).

Fanfiction Character Index, a real labour of love, the finer details of which are explained on the page itself (a few short paragraphs which eventually superseded the note 'EXPLAIN EVERYTHING' I first wrote for myself... quite a tall order, really).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 20th, 2018, 9:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Two very exciting new pages have been created for the website:

Jake Also Likes, in which Jake tells us about his favourite kids' shows and how they compare/relate to EGB, including some fascinating information about a Rivera ancestor who once starred in another cartoon (and has been mentioned in the Collinsverse, with more to come, and recently added to our timeline as well).

Neat. I love doing stuff like that too, as you well know.

Quote:
Fanfiction Character Index, a real labour of love, the finer details of which are explained on the page itself (a few short paragraphs which eventually superseded the note 'EXPLAIN EVERYTHING' I first wrote for myself... quite a tall order, really).

I had to notice the name "Catharine Bartholomew"--I used that name in my stories as the name of an actress, the first one Venkman signed in his career as a Hollywood agent. She actually appears in Curtain Call, a Ghostbusters West Coast story. (Probably no connection, though--the actress would have been at least ~20 in 1992, and the name's not unusual or anything) :lol:

PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 5:25 am 
Doberman
Doberman

The inclusion of the voyage of Captain Gaspar (and other characters) from The Mysterious Cities of Gold has caused Our Timeline to span exactly 500 years, which very much strengthens my own belief in Multiverse theory - the Collinsverse certainly exists out there somewhere, and we are merely channelling it. (In other words, it tells us what to wriiiite!)

Certainly this 500-year span was completely unintentional - MCoG happens to begin in 1532, and I chose 2032 for the epilogue in my Christmas Special because I wanted to write 'Twenty-nine years later' in homage to Harry Potter's 'Nineteen years later', and it seemed a suitable amount of time for Donatella the sea turtle to be all grown up. I didn't even deliberately set the 'current' action in 2003 at first - it just turned out that that had to be the year based on the characters' grades at school, which could only be the tenth grade for Oscar and the eleventh grade for Kevin and the others. If that doesn't prove the existence of the Multiverse, nothing ever will!

I notice how my 'EGB Comparison' sections actually make more specific reference to The Real Ghostbusters than to Extreme Ghostbusters, but this is hardly surprising as everything except The Mummy was very much contemporaneous with RGB - indeed, I know for a fact that RGB aired just before Knightmare on CITV in September and October 1987. I expect that was one of the times I used to regularly watch RGB and wish I was watching He-Man!

I can't look at our character index without declaring, 'It's magnificent!', which I think is a pretty accurate assessment. The truly wonderful thing is that it isn't even finished yet, and indeed two pretty interesting characters from GBOT continuity will be joining the ranks of the index come Sunday week.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on June 8th, 2019, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2019, 8:10 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

A new page has been added to the website: Family Tree. I had the urge to create this when I began writing stories whose release dates are a way off, so at some stage in the future when everything has been revealed, you will see the expanded version. In the words of Cass Elliot, it's not half of what it's gonna turn out to be...

But for now we have a nice, simple little tree showing two (arguably three) families linked by romantic love. I like this version (largely because it was no trouble at all, unlike the other!), and in fact it's not so very different from what a GBOT family tree would look like, with one obvious exception (plus Adela, who could easily exist in other universes but is only ever mentioned in the Collinsverse).

Also:

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Our Timeline has been spruced up with some appropriate EGB screenshots, and now contains reference points for all the featured characters.

I saw this when whizzing through the thread and thought I'd better explain that these references points have now been removed for a couple of reasons: one is tidiness, as the timeline was beginning to look very cluttered, and the other is the fact that we've added and will be adding a bunch of similar information to other pages found in our Fanfiction-Related section. I/we(?) didn't want to lose the information on EGB appearances that the timeline used to give, so this has now been transferred to our Character Index (with the additional information of characters' ages at the time), which is a much more suitable place for it really.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 31st, 2019, 7:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I can't help but compare some things. The Rivera/Griffin kids are born years later than they were in GBOT (2004 and 2006 instead of 2001 and 2004). And because I'm me, the Spengler marriage was about six months later and the birth of the Twins is over a year later (And maybe for the better--since they were born at the "wrong" time they don't have to worry about all that "Gemini Rising" stuff :lol: )

Kevin Rivera is the biggest difference, of course. In GBOT stories, he married a woman named Rachel and their daughter Emma was born last year.

If I ever find a good opportunity to drop in mention of Captain Gaspar or Alberto's cousin Adela, though, I won't rule out doing it.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 7:37 am 
Doberman
Doberman

This family tree really is lovely - as I know what the final version (to be revealed sometime next year) looks like and has looked like at various stages, there is a real simplicity and purity to this first version that's very appealing!

The timings of the babies in this new version of the Ghostbusters universe have tended to match up with when the stories are set, and when we think is the right time to let both the audience and the characters in on the news as part of those stories. As usual, we've taken a lot of inspiration from GBOT and a lot of inspiration from elsewhere, and come up with what I can only describe as a good mix!

I think we're both very happy with where the characters are in their lives when they become parents; I particularly liked the way Conchita (adapted from GBOT, of course) and James (co-created and later refined with painstaking care by the two of us specially for the Collinsverse) came along together (well, almost together!) at such an appropriate juncture in everyone's lives, despite the nearly twenty-year age difference between their respective parents.

Those two are certainly not the last very carefully timed babies (both artistically and in-universe) that you will meet (or at least hear about) before the end of the whole thing, and just to prove it, here's a juicy bit of gossip for you: someone we know from Kevin's high school class is actually pregnant right now (by which I mean April 2019) but you'll have to wait until a little later this year to find out who!

PostPosted: June 8th, 2019, 7:30 am 
Doberman
Doberman

There is an interesting (and much needed!) new page in the 'Fanfiction-Related' section of our website - our Story Chronology is now live! This details the complete linear reading order for our fanfiction universe, including all stories both clean and dirty, listed year by year.

As with our other 'Fanfiction-Related' pages, this one will continue to be added to over the next year or so, but what it's particularly useful for at the moment is finding out just how much of a time skip there's going to be for the Summer Special (which begins Wednesday this week, June 12th, my birthday!) and wondering just exactly what is going to be listed for all the years that are currently blank.

The specific years I have included are all going to end up with at least one story (sometimes two or even more!) and the ones that currently do have stories may not yet have all the stories they'll ever have. More details to come over the summer!

PostPosted: September 13th, 2020, 6:40 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Quote:
'Man, just imagine what our family tree would look like if someone actually bothered to write it all down!' said Oscar. 'It'd be... really weird.'

From 'By Halves', released on 8th March this year. Of course, I made a joke about whoever tried to do that being crazy, because I was doing it myself! The website at that time included a small family tree which, behind the scenes, had already grown to reflect a number of revelations in future fanfics. I don't suppose Oscar ever dreamed of that crazy person starting with the Riveras and branching out in a whole bunch of directions! Well, it was a labour of love.

So, as promised in this thread back in March 2019: the full Family Tree.

Note: by 'significant romantic relationships', we mean those that result in the production of children and/or are at least potentially forever.

The upper left of the tree, where the Venkman branches can be found, certainly is the most complicated - in terms of drawing/reading the diagram, that is. Also to be found are all four Extreme Ghostbusters, with really quite uncomplicated links back to the Riveras (particularly the one who was born a Rivera, of course :P).

We did have to draw a line (metaphorically this time!) at including some siblings, plus coloured-box-parents to link them to (such as Roland's; an easily overlooked sister Lydia for Beth was once mentioned in fanfiction, and a few OCs have siblings too) - sad in a way, but as it is, we both agree that the family tree is now just the right size. (Maybe I've built it up too much and you're expecting a monster... :lol:)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 20th, 2020, 4:04 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

The final version of the Family Tree is a spectacular thing to behold and to take in the finer details of, in that order. Rosey laboured very hard to perfect this piece of work, and we both had plenty of input into what information it was going to contain. While in some ways it would have been nice to include all known siblings from the Collinsverse (by which I mean those of Roland, Beth, Catherine, Stephanie and Josh) it was definitely the right decision to draw the line where it has been drawn, for the sake of both consistency and readability.

The Wallance-Venkman area is well worth a particularly close look, and I think Emilia's "donation line" is a specially nice touch. It's great to see so many links of love branching out (most of them involving genetics, though not all) and I'm very proud of this world we've created, or at least tapped into! I also think it's quite right to include three different gender colours, as the old two-gender system is very restrictive and just does not work for a character like Isabel, who (as regular readers know) identifies as a transgender female.