It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:14 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 820 Next
PostPosted: January 31st, 2018, 5:55 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I seem to remember, Fritz, that you based your design of Oscar on Jason Whatshisname (as I have thought of him since, never having seen Power Rangers Anything in my life :lol: ) because my descriptions of Oscar reminded you of him more than anything else. I also seem to remember I Googled him and wasn't too impressed. In fact I remember it so well that I'm visualising a certain place I used to internet in when I was very teenaged and stroppy, so perhaps nothing was going down very well with me that day, but I also remember thinking your picture was much better than the real thing (sorry, Jason! :D ). Anyway, there was certainly no talk of karate back then - I think it's just a weird coincidence.

And, haha well I have to confess, I was never crazy about Oscar keeping the name Wallance - that most certainly was down to Fritz actually! :P I first introduced my concept of the Venkman family in a movie script that I now feel wasn't much good, but whatever the truth of that, they most definitely all called themselves Venkman in that because it seemed the most realistic scenario as they are to all intents and purposes a nuclear family. Certainly Jake and I are are on the same page there. :D

Oscar didn't have a great relationship with Andre in the GBOT universe, but better than what I happen to know it's like in the Collinsverse. He (Oscar) got along better with his stepmother and half-siblings than with Andre, for various reasons that I've analysed in my own mind but never reasoned out in writing (I don't think) because I thought they'd probably bore everybody. GBOT Andre has good relationships with his other children; this doesn't really extend to Oscar because of physical and emotional distance, but I certainly had him trying harder and being more human than it might come across in the movies.

I'll say now that the Wallances are not very much gone into in the Collinsverse - only really where a brief appearance or mention facilitates some kind of development and/or emotional experience for Oscar. Whilst I don't wish to decry the ideas I had that have ended up in the GBOT universe, I've since had some different ones that I wanted to explore on a clean slate, however I have not felt the urge to develop the Wallances in this universe because I feel I got them absolutely right the first time; I don't want to explore different ideas for them because I don't have any (although we do learn that Emilia isn't quite such a stuck-up cow in a release that's, oh, a long way off... but it'll be here before we know it :roll: ). Add to this that the Venkmans aren't exactly the same as they were in the GBOT universe, and their interaction with the Wallances just wouldn't feel right. Still, I daresay Jessica and Hayden will be having their romance off-screen, as it were; certainly one is free to imagine that they are.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 4:33 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
Having thought about this explicitly for the first time, it occurs to me that Oscar's relationship with his biological father is something I've found it useful to have him feel awkward and upset about so that he can bond with Kevin over the whole issue, as they both have feelings about their fathers that they don't want to talk about with anyone except each other. Certainly this state of affairs will reach a crescendo when Andre makes his appearance.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 3:51 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
That's sounds like a good idea. I cannot wait to read it.

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 8:03 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Kevin and the Gang: In-Between, Episode 2 - Mikey's Girl, by me.

November 2000: Sparks fly when Eduardo and Kylie open up their new apartment to Kevin and the gang for Ella's birthday. With a lovers' tiff threatening to divide the group, Kevin looks to his most trusted confidant for advice.

Like some portions of The Riveras main series, this story looks to Kevin's contemporaries/our OCs as much as or more than the canon characters, but purists will still get a satisfying look at Eduardo, Kylie and Pagan's present circumstances.

When I first invented Michael and Ella as a source of conflict for Kevin's first day at junior high, I didn't know that they were going to be developed so much further; now that they have been and will be, I've written this story to address the bugbear of Michael's possessiveness, because otherwise they really couldn't go on.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 11:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
Kevin and the Gang: In-Between, Episode 2 - Mikey's Girl, by me.

November 2000: Sparks fly when Eduardo and Kylie open up their new apartment to Kevin and the gang for Ella's birthday. With a lovers' tiff threatening to divide the group, Kevin looks to his most trusted confidant for advice.

Like some portions of The Riveras main series, this story looks to Kevin's contemporaries/our OCs as much as or more than the canon characters, but purists will still get a satisfying look at Eduardo, Kylie and Pagan's present circumstances.

When I first invented Michael and Ella as a source of conflict for Kevin's first day at junior high, I didn't know that they were going to be developed so much further; now that they have been and will be, I've written this story to address the bugbear of Michael's possessiveness, because otherwise they really couldn't go on.

Another good one. Eduardo's talk with Micheal was the high point of the story, pretty solidly getting into Eduardo's head and helping the audience see Micheal in something other than "He's just a possessive jerk" way, which pays off at the end of the story.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 11:22 am 
Doberman
Doberman

When this series was being finalised and uploaded to the website, it was noted by the authors that something like 'Mike's Journey' would have been just as apt a title as 'Kevin and the Gang: In-Between' and we've certainly taken a huge step on that journey here. There'll be a lot more from Mike next time, as the next story is basically a two-hander between him and Kevin that I wrote in a fit of self-indulgence, but that's just the tip of the iceberg!

As every intelligent Extreme Ghostbusters fan knows, Eduardo is extremely perceptive and highly sensitive to the feelings of others (despite the troubles he used to have expressing himself and interacting with people, very much like Michael) so it should come as no surprise to learn that Eduardo has hit the nail on the head when assessing Michael's state of mind, now and in the future. As will be seen in multiple upcoming stories, Michael's lack of self-confidence and his paranoia about Ella concluding that she's too good for him will remain with him and doubtless cause a few more stumbles in their relationship (and, indeed, in Mike's relationships with the rest of the gang) but this story explores a crucial point in Mike and Ella's relationship which (as Rosey says) was absolutely essential to address at this stage - it has a solid foundation based on something real and true and pure, and I think we can rest assured that this will see them through whatever is to come.

On a slightly different note, if I could choose a favourite moment from this story (and how I wish with all my heart that I could!) it would definitely be when Eduardo gives Kevin a key to the new apartment. Thinking about foundations again, the intriguing relationship between Kevin and Eduardo that's hinted at in 'Rage' is an absolutely massive piece of baseline inspiration for the Collinsverse, and I always love to see it included in many interesting ways. In this case, the presentation of the key speaks absolute volumes about the relationship between my two favourite Riveras - it's a quick and seamless exchange in the story that contains many rich strata of significance, which I really like!

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on April 4th, 2018, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 7:17 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thank you for commenting, boys.

When I was thinking about how Michael could get over his possessiveness, a talk with Eduardo seemed the obvious solution, and it also afforded me an opportunity to show where he and Kylie (and Pagan) are both physically and emotionally. What Eduardo says here harks back to some of his insecurities that cropped up in the main series of The Riveras, and I feel that all of it is very much in keeping with the original source material.

It was Jake who suggested some of the story might be set during Ella's birthday, I think mostly just because of the time-frame we were looking at, so I came up with birthday presents based on what we know that she likes i.e. Pokemon and 101 Dalmatians (in fact I, as a senior member of the writing team, had already seen the evidence that she liked at least one other Disney movie). The charm bracelet ended up working very well symbolically (so did Eduardo's key, come to that), but what Jake doesn't know is that I removed a reference to a different item shaped like Pikachu that I had originally thought might amuse him; after careful consideration, I decided that it didn't really add anything and was perhaps a bit crass. :P

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
...if I could choose a favourite moment from this story (and how I wish with all my heart that I could!)

Private joke. :roll:

Y'know, Jake's next offering isn't really so self-indulgent by fanfic standards i.e. he's not actually in it. :P

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 8:54 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Kevin and the Gang: In-Between, Episode 3 - Boys' Night In, by me.

March 2001: With his mother working all night, Michael wants a friend to keep him company, and Kevin is the chosen one. When their male bonding goes a little too far, the boys must pool their skills to cover up the evidence.

This story contains fairly explicit discussion of intimate boys' stuff, so be warned! I wrote it to show the strengthening friendship between Kevin and Michael (all part of 'Mike's Journey', of course, as I mentioned last time) and while it's true that I'm not actually in it myself, the conversations and events are based on real-life boyish experiences that I have witnessed and/or been involved with. One thing I have certainly been involved with more than once is going "a little too far" (as the blurb puts it) and then frantically trying to cover up the evidence before the parents get home. (This sounds sexual, but it isn't.)

I voiced the thought the other day that this might be the first Collinsverse release not to feature at least one of the eight canon Ghostbusters, but it quickly came to light that it's actually the third, as the first two episodes of The Riveras main series that I wrote don't have any Ghostbusters either. Certainly this is the first foray into the world of intimate two-handers, although it isn't by any means the last. It is also the first release with only one canon character, and again there will be more.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on April 22nd, 2018, 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2018, 1:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I will avoid the TMI and just say that I laughed with some recognition at some of the "boys stuff" moments in this story. :lol:

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 11:34 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Fritz wrote:
I will avoid the TMI and just say that I laughed with some recognition at some of the "boys stuff" moments in this story. :lol:

Well, the only bit of this I can relate to is the bit I actually inspired i.e. forgetting that very funny moment in The Mask and getting to enjoy it all over again. The rest was something of a revelation. Next month's foray into the girls' changing room and toilets may be disappointing by comparison. :?

An intimate two-hander is always an interesting thing if well handled (ugh, why does everything sound sexual now? Oh, wait, I know :roll: ), which of course this one was. Michael's feelings about his contemporaries may have nothing to do with Ghostbusters, but it's a part of the Collinsverse that Jake and I have become very interested in.

Perceptive readers may ruminate on what 'other things' Kevin likes better than Cameron Diaz and such; whatever they may be, he isn't as forthcoming about them as Michael. Well, is anyone? :shock:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 7:06 am 
Doberman
Doberman

I'm really glad you related to some of the boys' stuff, Fritz. This story actually kicks off what I feel is a rather nicely balanced sequence of four episodes exploring boys' stuff and girls' stuff in turn, with the second adventure for each gender venturing into potentially more dangerous (and maybe even lethal) territory than the first.

I very much enjoyed putting Kevin and Michael together in this intimate (though not sexual!) situation at this stage in their friendship and their own individual development. While Kevin is discovering certain things about himself, he is far from ready to put them into words (or probably even into fully formed thoughts in his own mind) whereas Michael knows exactly what he wants and needs both emotionally and sexually, and is relishing the opportunity to have a man-to-man chat about it with someone he really likes and feels comfortable talking to. This is doubtless a new experience for Mike, as he hasn't grown up with a dad around and he's never had what he considers to be a real guy-friend before.

Just to make things more interesting, of course, this state of affairs is something of a contrast to the boys' physical interactions with their own bodies, which just goes to show that all these different kinds of development happen at different times and in different ways for different people, and (as Kevin points out) letting things pan out in their own time is definitely the right thing to do. Next time we'll be getting some insight into how the girls are getting on with that kind of thing, and thus balance will be achieved in the Collinsverse, at least for the moment.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2018, 7:02 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Kevin and the Gang: In-Between, Episode 4 - Best Friends, by me.

April 2001: Catherine and Stephanie are the best friends that ever were, until a moment of carelessness in the girls' bathroom threatens to tear them apart. When Lucy tries to get to the bottom of the problem, she discovers Catherine's most shameful secret.

Okay, straight up: this has nothing to do with Ghostbusters. :P Canon character Kevin's appearances are fleeting (Oscar has none), and a lot of the focus is even a step further from his intimate circle of OCs. This, I have to say, is entirely because of the phallocentric nature of action/sci-fi cartoons in the late 90s; I thought the series needed more focus on girls, so what else could I do?

The title is a sort of private joke in homage to Hey Arnold; when Jake and I settled down to watch it and saw the title 'Best Friends', we both wondered whether it was going to be about the long-established male best-friendship or the long-established female best-friendship. It turned out to be about a secondary character and a tertiary character whom we didn't even know were supposed to be friends. So I named this episode after that one because I thought it'd be funny. :geek:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2018, 4:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Kevin and the Gang: In-Between, Episode 4 - Best Friends, by me.

April 2001: Catherine and Stephanie are the best friends that ever were, until a moment of carelessness in the girls' bathroom threatens to tear them apart. When Lucy tries to get to the bottom of the problem, she discovers Catherine's most shameful secret.

Okay, straight up: this has nothing to do with Ghostbusters. :P Canon character Kevin's appearances are fleeting (Oscar has none), and a lot of the focus is even a step further from his intimate circle of OCs. This, I have to say, is entirely because of the phallocentric nature of action/sci-fi cartoons in the late 90s; I thought the series needed more focus on girls, so what else could I do?

The title is a sort of private joke in homage to Hey Arnold; when Jake and I settled down to watch it and saw the title 'Best Friends', we both wondered whether it was going to be about the long-established male best-friendship or the long-established female best-friendship. It turned out to be about a secondary character and a tertiary character whom we didn't even know were supposed to be friends. So I named this episode after that one because I thought it'd be funny. :geek:

Quote:
Next month's foray into the girls' changing room and toilets may be disappointing by comparison.

Nah, it's a different form of interesting. Maybe a bit voyeuristic (Or I guess I should have said "titillating":P) and making me feel like a creepy old guy for being so thoroughly wrapped up in a story about teenage girls talking about their chests. But heck, maybe it was about how you felt reading about teenage boys talking about when they discovered wanking. :lol:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2018, 3:31 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Ella's sister Tara has been added to Our Timeline, along with (since the last time it was mentioned in this thread) some more details about Oscar's extended family, which will be extrelely relevant in the future even if they're not right now.

I appreciate the array of cross-Collinsverse references in this one, all carefully chosen and seamlessly included to help create a tangible world. I'm also very interested to discover at last exactly what did go on in the girls' changing room all those years ago, although clearly it was nothing like the sexy, bouncy boob-fest that many of the boys liked to imagine. (And this was certainly not an unreasonable impression to form based on our parallel experiences in the boys' changing room, as many of my own stories will attest in no uncertain terms!)

It's stories like this one (and a couple more to come) that make me imagine all kinds of interesting interactions between Catherine and Stephanie in the wider world of the Collinsverse, and I do now rather wish that I'd made the effort to include some of their continuing adventures in my 'Kevin and Oscar: Snapshots' series, which it will be time to start releasing before we know where we are! Still, Cat and Steph aren't really part of "Kevin and the gang" (although they're definitely secondary rather than tertiary characters in this batch, unlike in the main series, or maybe they're "intermittent primary" characters actually) and it's more realistic that they wouldn't all stay in close contact after high school, so I guess the way things are is the right way, really.

How wonderful that Michael now has something a lot more tailored to his own particular tastes than a rain-soaked Cameron Diaz to run through in his mind when he feels the urge, and I don't doubt he'll be kept "up" many a night in the near future by thoughts of Ella and Lucy... at least until the next episode in this saga, when he'll have something a lot more serious and a lot less sexy on his mind.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 12:28 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thanks as always for commenting, boys. Jake came up with the idea for this series, and I know he's into it; Fritz, I'm very grateful to you for bothering to read it at all, and I'm really pleased that you got into it.

Fritz wrote:
Nah, it's a different form of interesting. Maybe a bit voyeuristic (Or I guess I should have said "titillating":P) and making me feel like a creepy old guy for being so thoroughly wrapped up in a story about teenage girls talking about their chests. But heck, maybe it was about how you felt reading about teenage boys talking about when they discovered wanking. :lol:

Very probably it is... which is strange to say, considering the latest thing I've sent you to read, Fritz. :| But anyway...

Most or all of the inspiration behind this one was a terrible thought I had (not totally unrelated to some of the writing and discussion between Jake and myself) that stupid people reading The Riveras episode 'Girls' Night Out' might take Lucy simply stating a fact about the size of her chest to mean she wasn't happy with it. So not the case, man. 8-)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 820 Next