PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 6:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC170467

Quote:
DEC170467
(W) Erik Burnham (A) Dan Schoening (CA) Tim Lattie
When urban miners discover what appears to be a centuries-old, man-made chamber 600 feet below the streets of New York City, they unwittingly unleash an unnamed entity with designs on dominance... an entity that will soon answer to the name SAMHAIN. Join the original Ghostbusters in this double-sized annual that will also sow the seeds for Crossing Over!

•Prelude to 2018's massive comic book crossover event-GHOSTBUSTERS CROSSING OVER!
•Featuring the return of the critically acclaimed and fan-favorite creative team of Erik Burnham, Dan Schoening, and Luis Antonio Delgado!
In Shops: Feb 14, 2018
SRP: $7.99

And of course Tim Lattie is trolling us again with the B-cover :?

Quote:
•Prelude to 2018's massive comic book crossover event-GHOSTBUSTERS CROSSING OVER!

Pardon my language, and for repeating myself, but I sure hope that crossover ends with Winston taking a sledge hammer to that fucking dimensional portal.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 6:16 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Fritz wrote:
Quote:

Pardon my language, and for repeating myself, but I sure hope that crossover ends with Winston taking a sledge hammer to that fucking dimensional portal.

Have you read the synopsis yet?
Quote:
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN180442
For a while now, the original Ghostbusters have had access to an interdimensional portal that has given them all-new ways to research the paranormal and consult with Ghostbusters throughout the multiverse... but they haven't shared this tech with any of those other Ghostbusters, and some don't think that's fair. That's why, after a chance meeting, Jillian Holtzmann and Ron Alexander have decided to right this wrong and cobble together their own working portal... which unintentionally unleashes the contents of the Ghostbusters' Containment Unit! That's a lot of ghosts, and it's going to take a lot of Ghostbusters to recapture them. In fact, it's going to take ALL of them. Crossing Over starts here!

Whining about sharing tech, more freaking dimensional portals, plus Ron Alexander. :roll:

This is the first time that I've ever been put off of buying a comic by a synopsis. 

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 8:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Quote:

Have you read the synopsis yet?
Quote:
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN180442
For a while now, the original Ghostbusters have had access to an interdimensional portal that has given them all-new ways to research the paranormal and consult with Ghostbusters throughout the multiverse... but they haven't shared this tech with any of those other Ghostbusters, and some don't think that's fair. That's why, after a chance meeting, Jillian Holtzmann and Ron Alexander have decided to right this wrong and cobble together their own working portal... which unintentionally unleashes the contents of the Ghostbusters' Containment Unit! That's a lot of ghosts, and it's going to take a lot of Ghostbusters to recapture them. In fact, it's going to take ALL of them. Crossing Over starts here!

Whining about sharing tech, more freaking dimensional portals, plus Ron Alexander. :roll:

This is the first time that I've ever been put off of buying a comic by a synopsis. 

To keep this one on topic, more or less, more about "Crossing Over" here

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 11:52 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Spook Central Preview of Annual 2018 (#3)

Admit it's an interesting start--brings to mind the "Whoops, we dug up something we shouldn't!" beginnings of "Knock, Knock" and "Darkness At Noon."

PostPosted: March 10th, 2018, 4:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I read it today, and I gotta admit there was a thing or two that I liked.

Big role for Kylie. She's the one who figures out who the baddie is. She meets the original version of herself briefly near the end, though not much is done with it.

Erik Burnham once again gave us a great opponent drawn from real world mythology; it's not exactly like the more familiar Samhain from legendary animated episodes, but it's very well done.

And as always, Dan Schoening and Louis Delgado give us some utterly spectacular artwork. I realize I spend a lot of my time lately complaining about the storylines, and want to throw a shout out to these guys, who are always excellent.

The way the dimensional portal is handled this issue almost gives me some hope that maybe it really will be smashed at the end of "Crossing Over". It's not much of a spoiler that it becomes a bone of contention between the New York team and Ron "And You're Not" Alexander. But as part of the set up, I couldn't help but get a feeling that it's making the Ghostbusters lazy. "Oh, we can't figure out how to take out Samhain--we'll just call up an army of Ghostbusters from other dimension and blast him into submission."

I''m hoping that feeling is intentional. With that and what we know about "Crossing Over", it sets up the possibility that they'll realize that playing around with the dimensional nexus so willy-nilly is a Bad Thing. I don't really get into the "There Are Things Man Was Not Meant To Know" trope, but from a purely story standpoint, it's way past time to put the dimension hopping to rest for a while. I may be wrong, of course--we'll know in about eight months or so.

And Holtzmann, by the way, got a huge laugh out of me for calling Ron "Inspector Gadget".

PostPosted: March 10th, 2018, 6:04 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
One half of me gets why they are almost constantly using it - because if this kind of thing existed in the real world it would be constantly used and tested to its limits, just as they seem to be doing.

The other half of me wishes they were more sparing with using it in the storylines. If its usage were spread out a bit more and we had some normality in between the dimension hopping stories, then maybe there wouldn't be so much crossover fatigue.

Fritz wrote:
I''m hoping that feeling is intentional. With that and what we know about "Crossing Over", it sets up the possibility that they'll realize that playing around with the dimensional nexus so willy-nilly is a Bad Thing.

I just can't help but feel that the dimensional screw up during the events of 101 would have been enough of a warning to retire the thing or at least be more wary about using it. They are obviously worried enough to keep the tech details to themselves instead of sharing it.

But on the other hand, Egon and Ray seem to like surfing between dimensions like its no big deal, so... I dunno.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2018, 7:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:
One half of me gets why they are almost constantly using it - because if this kind of thing existed in the real world it would be constantly used and tested to its limits, just as they seem to be doing.

Yeah, I can see that from the standpoint of scientific exploration. From the standpoint of wanting to read more stories about four men and a woman dealing with ghost problems, constant stories of interdimensional travel and guest stars are getting far afield.

Quote:
The other half of me wishes they were more sparing with using it in the storylines. If its usage were spread out a bit more and we had some normality in between the dimension hopping stories, then maybe there wouldn't be so much crossover fatigue.

Well, exactly. I mean, the cartoon had dimensional portal technology..and in 140 episodes and 33 comics, they used it a number of times that could almost fit on one hand.

(Hell, let me count it..."Egon's Ghost", "Egon on the Rampage", "The Copycat" (and they didn't actually travel anywhere in it), RGB#9-11, RGB#20/22. You could add "Janine's Day Off" if you stretch it and we're coming up with, what, six? And none of them were stories that rendered the Ghostbusters mere guest stars in their own story.)

Quote:
I just can't help but feel that the dimensional screw up during the events of 101 would have been enough of a warning to retire the thing or at least be more wary about using it.

Very good point.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 6:38 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
I gotta admit I was somewhat disappointed in how easily everything was solved with just 'Oh, let's open a bunch of portals and bring every ghostbusters team out there in here' and I really feel like they're using this portal deus-ex-machina a bit too much lately. I'd expect someone to acknowledge at some point that messing with alternate dimensions is never a good idea, but I have a feeling that might be precisely the point of Crossing Over coming from what we see at the end of Annual 2018, that this technology implies too much power and responsability and might ultimately bring about more problems than it solves. At least, I hope so.

That said, there were a couple of things I legitimately enjoyed here:

For one, Egon was smiling a lot. A LOT. And every time he smiled, my Grinch heart got a bit bigger. I think he ultimately did come to appreciate life a bit more after having been turned into purple mist by that dude in International, finally moving on from that somewhat nihilistic point of view about life and death he used to have in film 1 (Or the film one unused scenes, either way)

(...and I theorize maybe he and Janine are secret smooching buddies at this point so he's also smiling more because of her influence but shhh)

Then, I'm probably mean for this, but I really enjoy the fact that everyone gives Ron a hard time. While you can discuss that Peck during film one and the videogame was just doing his job (Albeit being incredibly unprofessional about it), Ron just does things out of greed and the need to feel like he's smarter than everyone else. He makes it really hard for one not to hate him. Seeing everyone team up to give him a hard time made me so happy. Ghostbusters in it's essence has a very mean-spirited sense of humor at times, but with Ron, they're showing they do have their limits as to what's acceptable and what's not and whoever crosses that line isn't gonna have a good time among them.

Kylie being the main focus was nice too, even if I feel like it was ultimately hurried in it's pay-off (And even if I feel they threw away a perfectly good opportunity to reprise from 'What in Samhain just happened?' with Janine. But, to be fair, she's my fave and I never feel like she's in the comic enough)

Finally...I admit it, I thought the final battle scene was very cool, with everyone coming in to help...even if it does make me wonder how exactly they managed to never cross their streams, what with how many proton throwers were firing at the time, but I digress. The battle scene was really cool, if somewhat anti-climatic.