All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 8:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN180443

Quote:
(W) Erik Burnham (A/CA) Dan Schoening
For a while now, the original Ghostbusters have had access to an interdimensional portal that has given them all-new ways to research the paranormal and consult with Ghostbusters throughout the multiverse... but they haven't shared this tech with any of those other Ghostbusters, and some don't think that's fair. That's why, after a chance meeting, Jillian Holtzmann and Ron Alexander have decided to right this wrong and cobble together their own working portal... which unintentionally unleashes the contents of the Ghostbusters' Containment Unit! That's a lot of ghosts, and it's going to take a lot of Ghostbusters to recapture them. In fact, it's going to take ALL of them. Crossing Over starts here!
* Featuring the return of the critically acclaimed and fan-favorite creative team of Erik Burnham, Dan Schoening, and Luis Antonio Delgado!
* It's like the Ghostbusters version of Crisis on Infinite... er, you know what I mean!
* First issue of an 8-issue maxi-series event!
In Shops: Mar 28, 2018
SRP: $3.99

I hate to say this, but right now...I don't think I've ever been less enthused for a Ghostbusters comic ever. Not even when they announced that Louis Tully would appear in "Mass Hysteria"

I hate feeling this way, but I see I'm not the only one underwhelmed...

nikki wrote:
Whining about sharing tech, more freaking dimensional portals, plus Ron Alexander. :roll:

This is the first time that I've ever been put off of buying a comic by a synopsis.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 11:49 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Sorry about the crosspost, Fritz. :oops:

I wish I were more pumped for this because it seems like it should be a major thing, but I'm just not feeling it.

I have major misgivings about it being overcrowded again, and too much 'screen time' will be spent on lesser characters like Ron Alexander or The Rookie, or even the new recruits.

Also, since when have the Ghostbusters been weird about sharing technology with each other? They are always working with each other and sharing technical know-how with the other dimensional versions of themselves, even the ATC crew, so I don't quite understand Ron Alexander and Holtzmann's problem. Can't they just ask the Prime GBs for help? Ray and Peter zapped into the ATC dimension specifically to work with the ATC crew on their tech, so... I'm a little bit confused about that.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 9:31 am 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:
Sorry about the crosspost, Fritz. :oops:

I wish I were more pumped for this because it seems like it should be a major thing, but I'm just not feeling it.

I have major misgivings about it being overcrowded again, and too much 'screen time' will be spent on lesser characters like Ron Alexander or The Rookie, or even the new recruits.

Also, since when have the Ghostbusters been weird about sharing technology with each other? They are always working with each other and sharing technical know-how with the other dimensional versions of themselves, even the ATC crew, so I don't quite understand Ron Alexander and Holtzmann's problem. Can't they just ask the Prime GBs for help? Ray and Peter zapped into the ATC dimension specifically to work with the ATC crew on their tech, so... I'm a little bit confused about that.

They may explain it. They may not. I think this story will probably be my breaking point--if that stupid dimensional portal isn't in pieces at the end, I'm out. I signed up to read about the Ghostbusters, not a constant stream of interdimensional guest stars and irritating spotlight hogs.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 9:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Preview from Spook Central

Pretty much what we'd already expected, though I did find the note from IDW Ray about "comparing notes" with the RGB Ghostbusters about the possibility of the Containment Unit being a pocket dimension--which in the animated universe, is definitely the case per "X-Mas Marks The Spot", Slimer's Sacrifice", etc.

And for all the lateness that the IDW GB line has had to date, I have to note that Crossing Over #1 is actually going to be two weeks early.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 6:55 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Spoiler!
OMG Peck offered Janine Jenny's job!!! :o Holy Cannolli!!! So THAT'S what they meant by the blurb about Janine fretting about the future!!

But don't worry, they're not gonna upset the status quo like that, if my theory about Kevin being recommended by Janine for the job turns out correct.

For those who don't frequent GBFans, here it is: "He hasn't gone on any busts so far and, even if he did, he'd have to have a really resilient prosthetic that'd be really, really costly. Like, Loftur-making-a-contract-with-Satan costly. I think. (Oh, cripes, I hope the way I put it isn't offensive to disabled people. Especially considering I'm studying to be a healthcare pro.) Plus, Janine hired him to help with the office and commented on his typing speed ( In GB International Issue 3), which is not too bad and would be well-suited for PCOC's demands."

And who's willing to bet that in the next issue, Janine will be secretly confiding about it to either Kevin or another Janine and Egon will just happen to overhear it?

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 8:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Spoiler!
Quote:
THIS is what they mean by Janine fretting about the future. And she's going to refuse. But there is someone she will recommend and he looks like a certain admin of the Ghostbusters Wiki, which means he's very good with information storage and stuff. I mean, think about it! He hasn't gone on any busts so far and, even if he did, he'd have to have a quite a resilient prosthetic that'd be really, really costly. Like, Loftur-making-a-contract-with-Satan costly. I think. (Oh, cripes, I hope the way I put it isn't offensive to disabled people. Especially considering I'm studying to be a healthcare pro.)

Nah, no problem :lol: Like my GBI character I'm a real-life amputee myself, and that's the reason he went from field work to an office role.

I'm interested in where the Janine/Peck subplot goes too. To me it's the most interesting thing to happen in this book in years.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 8:43 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Waaaatch it, Fritz, Egon
Spoiler!
dying in International
was interesting too, remember?

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 1:28 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Spoiler!
Personally, I think she should take the job.

Her role in the company has slowly been reduced with other characters doing the sorts of things she could be doing. It's about time she got a more clarified, defined position in the company. For her it's a promotion so why would she turn it down?

Considering that the role demands someone to occasionally take control who has a degree of influence, I really don't think Peck would offer it to Kevin, and I doubt Kevin would want to take it, either. Nothing against mrmichaelt, but the character seems too mild mannered for the kind of tasks that the PCOC liaison might entail.

It was nice of Winston to acknowledge how important she is. I wonder how valued she is compared to the RGB/EGB dimensions. I guess we might find out, although I am mindful that this is a short comic run with a large cast of characters involved and mega storylines to cover, so space for that kind of detail will probably again be limited.

As for Egon's 'death' being interesting... Well, until something happens that demonstrates that his 'death' had a real and lasting impact on him or the people around him, then I reserve judgement on that one I'm afraid.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 1:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Spoiler!
Quote:
As for Egon's 'death' being interesting... Well, until something happens that demonstrates that his 'death' had a real and lasting impact on him or the people around him, then I reserve judgement on that one I'm afraid.

Yeah, that's kind of where I am. IDW Egon acted weirder for an issue or two and nothing else has yeet to come of it.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 7:32 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Both of you bring up good points. Mrmichaelt even mentioned that Kaia May from International would be a potential choice as well, but it's doubtful.

At any rate, waiting for April to arrive is gonna be just *sarcasm* lovely *end sarcasm.*

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 8:30 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Spoiler!
I had a thought about that thing with Janine and Peck that goes more or less like this. Perhaps her working elsewhere is precisely going to pave the way for Egon to freaking FINALLY take a step. Not only because I'm betting the realization that she's leaving for good is going to hit him and HARD, but because now they wouldn't have things like fear of making the work-space awkward (Like that ever stopped them, though) or being accused of...I don't know, improper conduct? In the way. On top of that, IDW has drawn some interesting parallels with RGB and the NOW comics extended universe. They mention the whole 'The Eiffel Tower is actually a primitive ghost containment unit' thing, for one. Have Egon vaporized but gotten better, for another. So I find it possible that this is where IDW Egon realizes, as RGB Egon did "You never know how much someone means to you until you might lose them" (I would have thought he'd learned that lesson with the whole Viking ghosts thing but...perhaps he's just hard-headed like that. The character cards do acknowledge that RGB Egon isn't quite as clueless about emotions as his alternate universe persona) I know it's a stretch, but I refuse to give up on hope, dammit.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 6:26 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Spoiler!
I didn't think the role of PCOC liaison would mean she'd be gone forever - just that when she does turn up, she has a more crucial role. Like Jenny before she turned ghost. 
She's been sidelined a lot recently, and even when there is an opportunity for her character to get involved in a storyline, like when her niece briefly joined the Ghostbusters, she didn't seem to have been as involved as I thought she would be. I figure maybe if her role is bumped up a little, when we do see her she'll be more involved in the story.

I'm not entirely sure, but I thought that we almost did have an RGB 'I love you' moment with the Viking ghost storyline, right here:

He stopped himself from saying something he didn't want Roger to overhear, and my theory is that he almost said that he loved her.

I'd like to think that whole storyline was about him realising his feelings for her. He uses the gris-gris for the first (and only time so far) on her, his language during the confrontation with her Viking ancestor places him in equal if not more importance than her actual boyfriend, and he even admits that he knew she had feelings for him and the only excuse he has for not doing anything about it is that he was too busy.

I noticed that the RGB character card for Egon implied he was more in touch with his feelings than his IDW counterpart, but I think IDW Egon seems to be more aware of how he feels about Janine than the RGB version did. IDW Egon admitted he was jealous of Roger; he had studied Janine's behaviour with her other boyfriends; he admitted he knew that Janine had feelings for him; he used the gris-gris on her; I think he also created a computer programme to try to attract her. He seems to have gone to more efforts to study and analyse it than RGB Egon did.

The next logical step would be for him to do something about it, but he hasn't got there yet. I feel like it seemed to be so close to happening, and I thought maybe when he had the leg injury Janine might try and help him, and she might let slip she had broken up with Roger, and so on, but that didn't happen.

Since then there doesn't seem to have been many opportunities for any relationship growth to happen. The argument on the Firehouse roof seems to be the only real conversation they have had together and that felt like decades ago. Sometimes it seems like they spend hardly any time together, and I wonder if they are being kept apart on purpose.

I'd love for them to have a coffee together at Pequod's and just talk things out a bit. He confided in Donatello in the TMNT/GB 2 Crossover so maybe he is beginning to open up a bit more. Who knows?

Hopefully it will be sometime soon. I'd like to see their relationship progress in my lifetime, at least before I hit my eighties. :lol:

Last edited by nikki on November 25th, 2018, 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 6:47 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Under spoiler 'cause it's super long:
Spoiler!
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure, but I thought that we almost did have an RGB 'I love you' moment with the Viking ghost storyline

I had thought so as well, to be fair! But Roger's presence, for better or for worse, possibly kept it from being as decisive as it could have been. Like you said, Egon was close to forgetting himself and admitting something in front of the ghost, the language in his protest is VERY interesting. 'But that can't be, I- ahem, tell me how I can help her or else'. First of all, let's notice how he doesn't even consider Roger being participant on the whole helping her thing. It's all about what HE can do to help. Secondly, Egon is only outright aggro in his speech on rare occasion and here he's actually threatening this ghost! And further on he's just...so pissed at the vikings for keeping Janine captive, it blows my mind.
Srsly, that's the face of a man ready to kick some ghost ass, I don't think I've seen him so intense about it since Gozer. maybe 'cause back then he was saving the world and now he's saving HIS world huehuehue but the fact is that when Janine and them are freed into the real world again, he seems about ready to start a good conversation with her... and then sees her with Roger and kinda just catches himself again to give them space. I think it's likely that the reason it wasn't quite as effective as the Lotsabucks was for animated Egon is that by the time THAT happened in RGB, Janine was single, whereas in this case, Janine still had a previous commitment. He may be very, very liberal about a lot of stuff, but even he understands it wouldn't be right to have this conversation with her when she has a boyfriend. As to why he doesn't seem to have had it yet (At least, in-panel) it's anyone's guess. Perhaps he's wary of things going south in an irreparable way and reasons that, the way things are, at least they're friends. It's stupid, but it's understandable.

I think the difference may lay on the fact that the ghost Vikings thing was still ultimately something he COULD stop from happening, something he could fight, whereas her moving on to something better isn't really a...bad situation he can save her from and the only one who gets a call on whether it happens or not is her, which would confront him with the truth that he hasn't exactly given her reason to stay.

Quote:
I noticed that the RGB character card for Egon implied he was more in touch with his feelings than his IDW counterpart, but I think IDW Egon seems to be more aware of how he feels about Janine than the RGB version did.

I think you're right, but I think the card's right as well, which makes for a very unfortunate combination.

Here's the thing: I can't see cartoon Egon letting a kid develop affection for a puppy and then taking the puppy away for an experiment, and yet IDW Egon didn't seem to have a problem with it. It's like he's unfamiliar with the concept that feelings matter and the idea that he COULD have feelings in general so when they do come along he wants to dissect them rather than just feel them. RGB Egon seems to at the very least realize he has to respond to Janine's affection in some way, but IDW Egon doesn't seem to think it necessary for the most part. RGB Egon gets flustered, which is a thing IDW Egon seems incapable of.

In a nutshell, I think the issue might be that RGB Egon IS more in touch not only with his feelings but the understanding that others have feelings and he has to be considerate with them, but can still fail at this at times because he's genuinely clueless about it, even innocent at times. IDW Egon has never stopped to think for his own or others' feelings and can be insensitive from not caring about the way he says thing as much as he cares about being accurate about what he's saying, but is also less clueless and awkward about it than his cartoon counterpart. He at least has a very approximate idea of what is appropriate or not, he's just not... interested on playing along with it. After all, some would consider the fact that he made a chart off Janine's dating life pretty creepy, but he made it because he needed the visual comparison.

Quote:
I'd love for them to have a coffee together at Pequod's and just talk things out a bit

I think the issue with them spending time together might be a) There's a ton of characters now, and they all have to be in panel at some point, so sometimes the mains get ignored a bit. b) They have a determinate number of pages to fill per delivery, so they end up economizing in what personal relationships respect in pro of giving the action scenes and general plot the main spot. Even Peter and Dana only got like a couple of pages for closure of what used to be the main couple of the franchise! c) It grieves me to say this, but it seems to me like they've picked up too many stories and as a result some have been left hanging. Look at that thing with the gris-gris bag, it either got a very disappointing end or has been hanging for literal years now.

TL; DR:
-The Vikings thing, I think, would have worked for a love declaration had Roger been elsewhere, which is why I think that, with him gone, this time and with Janine possibly leaving, it COULD finally work out.
-RGB Egon is a nice, decent, if clueless fellow where IDW Egon can be a jerk sometimes and fails to understand that he can't approach love the way he approaches atomic science.
-I have my fingers crossed for the comics team doing good for us fans, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 4:39 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Moonchild wrote:
In a nutshell, I think the issue might be that RGB Egon IS more in touch not only with his feelings but the understanding that others have feelings and he has to be considerate with them, but can still fail at this at times because he's genuinely clueless about it, even innocent at times. IDW Egon has never stopped to think for his own or others' feelings and can be insensitive from not caring about the way he says thing as much as he cares about being accurate about what he's saying, but is also less clueless and awkward about it than his cartoon counterpart. He at least has a very approximate idea of what is appropriate or not, he's just not... interested on playing along with it. After all, some would consider the fact that he made a chart off Janine's dating life pretty creepy, but he made it because he needed the visual comparison.

That's true, and I love your analysis. I think that the IDW-verse Egon and Janine seem to be more mature than the RGB-verse ones. IDW Egon doesn't seem intimidated by her as RGB Egon sometimes was, and IDW Janine doesn't seem as flirtatious towards him as RGB Janine. RGB Egon was all about denial, while IDW Egon's like, 'okay, I know she's likes me and I know I like her - I've researched it and everything'. It feels like it could be the real thing and not just playing around. Not that the RGB-verse necessarily played around with their relationship, but the characters seem to be taking things a bit more seriously in the IDW world, if you know what I mean. 

I would love to see IDW Janine getting her flirt on with IDW Egon, just to see how he responds. Part of me thinks he wouldn't take the bait but another part of me thinks that IDW Egon might just flirt back... He does seem to have a bit of a wicked sense of humour at times. 

Quote:
I think the issue with them spending time together might be a) There's a ton of characters now, and they all have to be in panel at some point, so sometimes the mains get ignored a bit. b) They have a determinate number of pages to fill per delivery, so they end up economizing in what personal relationships respect in pro of giving the action scenes and general plot the main spot. Even Peter and Dana only got like a couple of pages for closure of what used to be the main couple of the franchise! c) It grieves me to say this, but it seems to me like they've picked up too many stories and as a result some have been left hanging. Look at that thing with the gris-gris bag, it either got a very disappointing end or has been hanging for literal years now.

I find it frustrating. I keep wondering how much more of an emotional impact Egon's 'death' would have had if Janine had been helping him study the Rouskinna instead of Kylie (or at least popped by to help restock his fridge if he couldn't manage his apartment stairs). Continuing on from what had happened after the Viking incident, their relationship could have begun to develop and just as Egon discovers that Janine's single again, he's gone. 

If IDW can't stretch the time for them to get a coffee together (though they stretched it enough for Peter and Rebecca to have a flirty moment, and whole mega storylines for Jenny and Ray and Tiyah and Winston), then maybe a teeny-tiny bit of positive dialogue between them, I don't know. 

Honestly, I'd be happy with a bit of hand-holding or just some small reciprocal gestures of affection between them both. Small things, but at least something to show they really care about each other, and not only when they are (or have been in) mortal danger.