It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:47 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 5:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
So...there's been some stuff mentioned on GBFans that are either easter eggs, or a big spoiler about the plot of GB2020:

Spoiler!
Allusions to Shandor and maybe even Gozer.

Everybody on GBFans think that would be awesome; they only seem to have a problem with it if it contradicts the Video Game somehow.

Again, it may just be easter eggs/fanservice in the broader sense of the word. But what if it's not? What if the reputed "love letter to the first movie" is rehashing the same villain?

Am I the only one who thinks another tap of the Gozer till is a bit of a disappointment? Like, once again, with all of folklore to draw upon, everything has to be about fucking Gozer?

PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 3:56 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Aquarius
Spoiler!
To be fair, it's not out of the realm of possibility for Gozer to come back in some fashion (being a god after all) but yeah, I really, really don't want him to return for the new film, especially since the GB have defeated him twice. (Making him look kind of wimpy in the process.)

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 11:56 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Spoiler!
I find it interesting reading the speculation on the other boards that people genuinely think this movie is going to be about Ray in 'his' barn working on the mystery which he will solve with Winston and Peter coming in as emergency backup.

Ray doesn't own a barn in GB movieverse canon. He has/had a house, which, I'm assuming from the dialogue in the first movie he most likely lost at some point because the mortgage repayment scheme Peter helped to negotiate was terrible. There was a whole conversation in GB1 about this, and yet people still think Ray owns a barn for some strange reason.

While I have no doubt that the OGBs will appear at some point, I feel like it's more likely that the emphasis will be on the family, mostly the kids. They will be the ones driving the narrative on this movie.

Speculation is that the spooky house and barn are Ray's, but does anyone consider it might be Egon's? The dilapidation could be due the fact he's been gone for a good long while, now. Missing, dead, who knows?

It's likely that we are starting from scratch in this film. No-one knows anything. It's just a town in the middle of nowhere with some odd happenings every now and again. Egon's been gone for so long that the authorities presume him dead, and this spooky house and barn is now part of his estate so who are they gonna call? Egon's relatives! The girl loves the science stuff and starts the process of getting things working again which sets off some unknown sequence of events which leads to all hell breaking loose.

With some degree of desperation, they attempt to get into contact with someone who knows about some of this stuff. Egon's old colleagues. Maybe his old girlfriend might have known what he'd been working on in that place. The whole lot of them work together to sort it out. One last get together with the old team.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2019, 4:41 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Nikki, you're probably pretty close there. I can accept that story line, I think.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 4:49 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Well, looks like Dan has confirmed that those kids are related to an OGB. Now I'm scared. The only thing worse than finding out E/J never got together is finding out he picked someone else. I'll be heartbroken.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 11:32 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Considering I am one of the Twitter voices hoping Carrie Coon and the kids are playing Spengler-Melnitz the next generation, I can only nod my head and agree with you lot that this is what will make or break the movie for me.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2019, 4:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I hate to say it, but at this point I almost don't care what they do in this movie.

With the help of others, I've spent sixteen years building a version of the Ghostbusters world that I'm not going to abandon, even though it's built on canon that Sony has.

The GB2020 movie will probably never be "the" fate of the Ghostbusters to me any more than JJ Abrams' derivative Star Wars movies will be "the" fate of those characters.

Just like "my" Star Wars headcanon has Leia and Han married and living happily ever after, and Luke successfully rebuilding the Jedi Order instead of all three turning out to be enormous failures, Egon Spengler married Janine Melnitz in 1998 and he's definitely not dead in 2020. (2027 is the earliest I could see GBOt Egon dying; he was born exactly thirteen years after Ramis, 2027 will be thirteen years after 2014. But I'm not committing to that.)

I won't deny a few embers of hope. Sony has to be aware of fan sentiment--the Egon/Janine pairing is far more popular than the Janine/Louis situation, and hell, even more popular on the whole than the "A-game" Venkman and Dana. And they have a track record of allowing licensees at least to pretty much ignore the Janine/Louis trainwreck. NOW comics published a veto of it when GB2 had barely left the theatres for Gozer's sake.

But on the other hand, I could also see Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd insisting on ignoring the sentiments of fandom, licensed writers, and even Annie Potts out of some understandable sense of loyalty to Ramis, however inexplicable Ramis's turn was.

I'm going into this with low expectations. Maybe they'll exceed them. Maybe not.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2019, 2:30 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:
Sony has to be aware of fan sentiment--the Egon/Janine pairing is far more popular than the Janine/Louis situation, and hell, even more popular on the whole than the "A-game" Venkman and Dana. And they have a track record of allowing licensees at least to pretty much ignore the Janine/Louis trainwreck. NOW comics published a veto of it when GB2 had barely left the theatres for Gozer's sake.

The way the Egon/Janine pairing has been neglected in the IDW comics tells me that Sony have absolutely no idea about the popularity of it or how to use it effectively to help to promote the property.

I think the team at IDW know that they'd get some more social media exposure if they sneaked in some E/J stuff here and there but their hands are tied by those higher up. It's the only way I can make sense of the way IDW are treating the pairing, and may be one of the reasons why they have paired other characters in the hope of getting some equivalent exposure that way. Unfortunately, the Ray/Jenny Winston/Tiyah pairings haven't caught as much social media attention as Egon/Janine have.

Sony seem to have little to no clue how to market Ghostbusters effectively, so their attitude towards arguably the most popular pairing in its franchise is no real surprise. From a business perspective, you'd want to promote as much as possible and like it or not developing popular character relationships is just another way of getting exposure through social media these days. There is an audience ready for it, but they seem disinclined to nurture that audience.

It's one of the main reasons I doubt that this new film will do anything to further that relationship, and possibly even use the opportunity to nix it completely. I literally have no faith in Sony on this.

Putting that aside, I am excited to see the new film.

I love that they are keeping everything so tightly under wraps that we know next to nothing about it so I'm hoping for some interesting surprises down the line.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2019, 4:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Sony has to be aware of fan sentiment--the Egon/Janine pairing is far more popular than the Janine/Louis situation, and hell, even more popular on the whole than the "A-game" Venkman and Dana. And they have a track record of allowing licensees at least to pretty much ignore the Janine/Louis trainwreck. NOW comics published a veto of it when GB2 had barely left the theatres for Gozer's sake.

The way the Egon/Janine pairing has been neglected in the IDW comics tells me that Sony have absolutely no idea about the popularity of it or how to use it effectively to help to promote the property.

Yeah, I think about it and you're right. I guess it's more once upon a time Sony/Columbia was aware of fan sentiment on the matter. But they've forgotten, and the licensees who know can't seem to successfully remind them of that.

I'm not going to say that having my particular fan affection is going to make or break this movie for me; but as with GB2's epic fail in it's treatment of it, it will certainly affect how much I enjoy it. As I said when GB2016 came out:

Fritz wrote:
Did I enjoy it as much as the originals? No in the case of GB1. GB2's a little harder...I still like the original characters better. There were some brilliant moments in GB2. But on the other hand, GB2 also contains the most cringe-worthy scene in all of Ghostbusters lore in my opinion, and GB2016 didn't make me cringe even once.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 4:53 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz, I keep trying to think of a response to your comments. I want to offer peace and positivity... But I don't have any to share right now. So, I'm just gonna put you down for... Apprehensive.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2019, 1:19 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Getting a lot more details. Apparently the OG GB is the kids' grandfather, which leads me to think Egon. The Wikipedia page has their last name as Spengler, but since nothing about their last name is official, I'm taking it with a shaker of salt. All the hints seem to point to it, though. Maybe we'll get more info when the trailer drops Monday. I don't see how their grandfathers' identity is a super big spoiler they'd want to keep hidden, but who knows? I told my husband that if the last name is Melnitz or Spengler, I'd lose it. :)

PostPosted: December 9th, 2019, 9:20 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

I just saw the trailer! OMGOMGOMGOMG *falls over* I knew it! I am SO spyched!!!

PostPosted: December 9th, 2019, 4:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Having been marinating in all the discussion on GBFans since the movie was announced, not a whole lot of surprises, just confirmation of some speculation.

I won't say any more until some time passes.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2019, 11:27 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

I'm glad it's getting the mostly positive response it's been getting, but I'm keeping in mind this is only the first teaser. I'm sure there will be more teasers/trailers down the line. I hope so, because I'm already losing count of how many times I've watched this one...

I'm wondering how this will affect established canon, and am already reading posts on other boards that this might make the video game non-canon. At least our little canon here is safe. :)

PostPosted: December 10th, 2019, 5:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Miss Janine wrote:
I'm wondering how this will affect established canon, and am already reading posts on other boards that this might make the video game non-canon.

Some of the people on GBFans are starting to realize "Waitaminute, if there's been no ghosts in thirty years, then that means the IDW stuff doesn't happen!!!" Since IDW takes place throughout the 1990's.

Welcome to my world, kids. I've been living in it since 2003, when Sony basically sent JMS's work to the continuity woodchipper; you can't claim IDW's the one totally in continuity with the movies anymore.

Quote:
At least our little canon here is safe. :)

Absolutely.

In fact, the next story I plan on releasing will touch on that fairly directly. :twisted:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next