Ghostbusters (1984) 90%  90%  [ 28 ]
Ghostbusters II (1989) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I can't decide 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They both sucked because Jake and Eddie weren't in them 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 31
PostPosted: April 18th, 2010, 5:26 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it was definitely a studio decision that the guys all just had to live with. Maybe it meant "peace", that seemed to be a big theme of the movie, peace, love, harmony and what have ya.

Oh, and they DID referrence it in the game, Fritz, while exploring the firehouse, if you look through the window next to Peter's office into the back area of the building, which they apparently use for storage and whatnot, the GB2 sign they hung from the building is sitting there amongst a pile of junk. Also, the extra parts from the Ecto-1a that weren't on Ecto-1B are sitting off to the side of where the car itself is parked.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2010, 6:53 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
I like the idea that it meant peace. Although I wouldn't have considered that movie all that into peace and love and harmony and all that, but that's just my opinion. At least it was in a pile of junk in the game. :)

PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 7:57 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Another thing I thought was odd was the fact that they have multi-colored Jumpsuits in the second film, but aside from Winston wearing one while they test the new slime, any scenes involving actual plot development, or dialogue in general feature the khaki ones. In addition, most of the scenes cut out of the film reveal through the little clips left behind that the Charcol jumpsuits were present during them. Pointless coincidence? Probably. Have I just wasted a post on pointing that out? Most likely... but this proves one thing: I have more free time than you.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 9:22 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
:D It probably was just a coincidence, but hey, it's not possible to "Waste a post" unless you have as many as Fritz :lol: Just kidding.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 4:23 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Uh... this isn't a poll, it's a massacre. Need I say more?

PostPosted: October 16th, 2012, 6:23 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
I personally don't like one less than the other.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2013, 2:21 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I watched both the movies last weekend, and I think I finally figured out why it is I slightly prefer GB2. I always liked it better as a child, anyway, because the humour is more accessible (digging a big hole in the street, "once time I turned into a dog and they helped me", and stuff like that) - I'm sure, making the sequel, they were bearing kids in mind more after the success of RGB. It took me until quite recently to see the hilarity of some jokes in GB1 such as the interest on Ray's re-mortgage, and the unexplained underwater mass sponge vibration.

So that was why I preferred GB2 when I was younger, but I haven't changed my mind since then. Generally, I still find it more accessible. Even I know the Statue of Liberty when I see it. Call it a re-hash of Mr Staypuft if you like, but personally, I'm not sorry they did it because I appreciate it so much more. Similarly, I knew plenty about the Titanic as a kid, and now I know that little bit more about it. It's something we all know a little about, and even an actual link between my little world and the Ghostbusters' (in terms of the movie, anyway), so that's something I've always enjoyed.

I prefer Vigo as a villain, because we get to know him a little bit throughout the movie, whereas Gozer doesn't even make an appearance until the climax. I always used to enjoy Peter MacNicol's performance, and since I was little I've become a full-blown fan of his after seeing him in Bean and Addams Family Values several times. He does have a similar role to Louis in GB1, but personally I find the whole idea more engaging with Janozs and Vigo than with Louis and Gozer et al.

As a kid, I enjoyed Louis's performance in the courtroom, and then pretty much lost interest in him after that. Shippers will be glad to hear that I was never particularly interested in his relationship with Janine, even before I quite understood what it really meant. I don't have a problem with Louis putting on a flight suit and proton pack, because that always struck me as nothing more than a joke at his expense - after all, it's not as though he actually did anything, despite how things appeared from outside the museum.

I do appreciate much more now that what they did to Janine's character wasn't good. Please don't anyone jump down my throat, especially as it was my brother who suggested this to me (honest!), but it seems that her look was an attempt to make her appear more like the Janine of RGB for us kids. I'm not saying it was a successful attempt - it was just an attempt, and it would have had little or nothing to do with the script, which wasn't great for her. I always did enjoy "Typical", and I thought "Well just don't go in there" was a good line for her too. But that's all, really. Still, it's not enough to stop me from preferring GB2 overall.

I've probably mentioned this before, but I was clever enough to see GB2 before GB1 (and RGB before both of them). Possibly that has some bearing on my opinions, but I doubt it, especially as I've seen both movies several times since then and have all but forgotten my first impressions. But it still took me until last weekend to figure out all of the above. :P

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 15th, 2018, 5:40 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
I agree exactly with EGBFan. Having watched both the movies again this weekend, it's struck me anew how I did find Ghostbusters II a lot more accessible than its predecessor when I was very young, and I do think it's pretty successful in finding the middle ground between the first movie and the cartoon series, in terms of humour, style and characterisation.

I also remember engaging with some of the tie-in promotions for the second movie (I turned six in 1989) which gives it a little bit of extra fondness for me - I enjoyed collecting the scenes and stickers from the cereal box promotion (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=550) and I rather liked the holographic stickers that came free with Five Alive fruit drink at one point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdC3spZB7Gk

PostPosted: April 15th, 2018, 6:14 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
While I do like how GBII is a bit less mean-spirited -and the Statue of Liberty walking down New York to an 80s version of a Jackie Wilson's song will forever be one of my favorite movie scenes in life- it seems to me like they just passed on a lot of more interesting things in favor of repeating stuff we'd seen already because they knew that worked, So Imma have to go with GBI