It is currently March 25th, 2019, 11:20 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 7th, 2019, 9:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
Eduardo and Kylie's European Vacation, Episode 6 - Barcelona, by me.

When Eduardo takes the opportunity to investigate his family history, he finds more than he bargained for.

Sorry it took so long to comment; I've been battling a nasty cold this week which left me not wanting to even get out of bed.

Another fun leg of Kylie and Eduardo's European Vacation ("Holiday Rooooooooooad...") I would imagine if I were familiar with The Mysterious Cities of Gold I'd get a little more out of it, but works just fine without that knowledge too. It's fun to throw in those little nods to something else you love, isn't it? :lol: (And, you know, being coproduced by DiC gives it a Ghostbusters connection after all...)

PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 7:52 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
As someone who's extremely familiar with The Mysterious Cities of Gold, I certainly enjoy the role it plays in this story and the wider Collinsverse. Even the most casual viewer of that show should be able to spot that Gaspar is absolutely right about Esteban loving little Zia, and count it as a certainty that the two would grow up and be happy. Indeed, I've been pretty sure for some years now that we've successfully identified one of their descendants in the present day, and he's been having a highly successful tennis career over the past 14 years.

Speaking of descendants, the physical and emotional similarity between Captain Gaspar and Carl Rivera is certainly undeniable, convincing me even further that the Multiverse theory is very much real. The whole "a son must do more than his father" issue has turned out to be just as relevant to The Riveras as it is to The Mysterious Cities of Gold, and indeed I know the exact content of a comment I'm going to make a little later this year on that very subject, in relation not only to Kevin but also to James.

Eduardo and Kylie's musings about judging historical figures without considering historical context are extremely important, and have reminded me of an episode of South Park where the issue was explored in relation to Christopher Columbus himself. It makes me think of the absurdity of present-day governments "officially apologising" for stuff that happened hundreds of years ago - we should certainly learn from history, but we should always look at it in context and we definitely shouldn't feel personally responsible for any of it!

Also, I finally know how I could've made my own youth hostel experiences even more annoying than they actually were - by buying a whole fish and attempting to cook it!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 8:51 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I have to say, without EGB to bridge the gap, I would never have imagined that The Mysterious Cities of Gold was set in the same universe as NYPD Blue. :lol:

Thanks as always for your comments, guys.

Fritz wrote:
I would imagine if I were familiar with The Mysterious Cities of Gold I'd get a little more out of it, but works just fine without that knowledge too. It's fun to throw in those little nods to something else you love, isn't it? :lol:

It is, and this seemed like a golden opportunity to do it really quite seamlessly (somehow I don't think, for example, a Watership Down crossover would work quite so well :P). Certainly you'd have got something different out of the story for being familiar with Cities of Gold; writing it, I was hoping that the element of learning with the protagonists would provide its own, equally(?) enjoyable experience for EGB-only watchers. Everything I wanted Eduardo, Kylie and the audience to know was in some way accessible via the Barcelona archives, even some rather obscure stuff - that was very lucky! :D

In the sequence towards the end (you've got to be expecting spoilers at this stage in the thread - here's one), Captain Gaspar doesn't so much fill in the gaps as arbritarily nod towards some extra information that I knew, in particular, Jake would like to see. Though this isn't strictly necessary for the plot, I also think it's a nice idea to point out that there's a whole story there which Eduardo and Kylie will never know, as is the case with all our ancestors (even, or especially, if there's no epic anime-esque series chronicling that story).

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Speaking of descendants, the physical and emotional similarity between Captain Gaspar and Carl Rivera is certainly undeniable, convincing me even further that the Multiverse theory is very much real.

This serves very nicely as the lead-in for something that Jake knew I wanted to say: if you haven't found it already, you can now see Captain Gaspar in our Character Index, and it's certainly worth doing even if you've seen the profile shot (which I captured myself, from the very moment in episode 2 when I first noticed the physical and emotional resemblance to Carl) in Jake Also Likes. In the index, the Captain Gaspar screen-cap is one that I found rather than made. Directly underneath him is Carl, whose image I did capture myself, but it was only the first shot I got from a section in which I knew he'd be in close-up; I was certainly not thinking about Captain Gaspar at the time. If I had tried, I could not have found or made two images in which those characters look more similar! :shock:

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
The whole "a son must do more than his father" issue has turned out to be just as relevant to The Riveras as it is to The Mysterious Cities of Gold, and indeed I know the exact content of a comment I'm going to make a little later this year on that very subject, in relation not only to Kevin but also to James.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing exactly how that goes. In terms of its source material, that quote comes during what I find to be a very moving sequence between Esteban and his father (who is in disguise), and I've always admired the sentiment. The Mysterious Cities of Gold is pretty much all about men; I thought it would be okay to take that quote and adapt it to be more inclusive for the modern day. ;)

'Rosey Collins an XGB fan from the UK.'
-Fil Barlow
Yep, that about sums me up. 8-)

PostPosted: Yesterday, 9:43 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
Kevin and Oscar: Snapshots, Episode 7 - Down Mexico Way, by me.

June 2006: There are reminiscences and revelations as friends and family gather to wish Kevin and Oscar bon voyage – or buen viaje – before the two embark on their much-anticipated backpacking tour of Mexico.

Yup, the boys are finally off on their trip, but they're not the only ones whose lives are showing evidence of exciting and significant developments.